Electric field strength goes to 0

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of electric fields and how to find the point on the x-axis where the net electric field is zero between two point charges. The attempt at a solution includes reasoning and diagrams, but ultimately the math calculations do not provide a definitive answer. It is noted that the charges have different magnitudes and that the electric field varies as the square of the distance. The conversation ends with a suggestion to use a different method to find a definite answer.
Qube
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Two point charges lie on the x-axis. Charge Q1= +7 μC is located at x = 0 and charge Q2 = -18μC is located at x = 25 cm. Find the point on the x-axis (in cm) where the net electric field is zero.

Homework Equations

E = F/C

F = k(q1)(q2)/r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay, so I first did some common sense considerations. If the positive test charge particle lay in-between the q1 and q2, there is no way that via the principle of superposition the forces would cancel out (i.e. add destructively). The force on the test particle by q1 would be in the positive x direction (i.e. repulsion). Similarly, the force between the test particle by q2 would be in the positive x direction (in this case attraction creates a positive x-direction force on the test charge).
So the particle cannot be in-between q1 and q2. The particle either lies to the right of q1 and q2 or to the left of q1 and q2. If the particle lay right of q2, then F1 would be positive while F2 would be negative. If the particle lay left of q1, then F1 would be negative while F2 would be positive. Diagram attached.
So, what I am getting at is that there are at least two ways of destructively superimposing the two forces. Am I right?
Also, when I do the math, I don't seem to get quite the right answer. Let's say the particle were to the left of q1; math below:
I solve this system of equations and I get both a negative and a positive root. What does the negative root in this case mean? Go left on the x-axis?
http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=7(0.25+r)^2+=+18r^2
Also if I solve this by assuming the particle is to the right of q2 ... I get these two values. Are these values valid?
http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=7r^2+=+18(0.25+r)^2

e2a2abap.jpg

y4anega9.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
You are correct in stating that it is impossible for the electric force to cancel between the two particles. You are also correct that the fields will oppose each other to the left and to the right. Notice however you have charges of differing magnitudes. Electric field varies as the square of the distance, so looking at the magnitude of your charges, it will be impossible for the field to cancel in one of those regions. Your math looks correct, but if you multiply through,

[tex]\frac{q_1}{r^2} = \frac{q_2}{(r + l)^2}[/tex]

Where for simplicity I have called the 0.25m l, then you have

[tex]q_1(r + l)^2 = rq_2[/tex]

Use this method to try to see if you can get it down to one definite answer instead of two roots.

Last edited:

Related to Electric field strength goes to 0

What is electric field strength?

Electric field strength is a measure of the intensity of an electric field at a specific point in space. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

How is electric field strength calculated?

Electric field strength is calculated by dividing the force exerted on a test charge by the magnitude of the charge itself. This can also be represented by the equation E = F/q, where E is electric field strength, F is force, and q is charge.

Why does electric field strength go to 0?

Electric field strength goes to 0 when there is no electric field present. This can happen when there are no charges or when the charges are evenly distributed and cancel each other out. It can also occur at infinite distances from a charge.

What are some practical applications of electric field strength?

Electric field strength is important in many areas of science and technology. It is used in the design of electronic circuits, the operation of electric motors and generators, and in the study of atmospheric electricity and lightning.

How does electric field strength affect electric charges?

Electric field strength affects electric charges by exerting a force on them. Like charges will repel each other, while opposite charges will attract. The magnitude of the force is directly proportional to the electric field strength and the magnitude of the charge.