Electric field strength from x=-a to x = a

In summary, the conversation discusses a physics problem involving electric fields and charges. The question is about the electric field strength at a certain point and the confusion arises from the opposite positions of the charges on the y axis. The expert advises to be patient and careful when solving physics problems.
physiccool78

Homework Statement

I attached a file.

Numbers 10 and 12.

Homework Equations

kQq/r, kQq/r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I am confused about this problem. Shouldn't the electric field strength be 0 when x = 0? The charges are opposite and adding two opposite vectors with equal magnitude should be 0 right? So how come the answer says that the electric field strength is the greatest at x = 0 then? Thank you.

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    29.2 KB · Views: 381
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    35.8 KB · Views: 399
Physics news on Phys.org
They are in opposite positions on the y axis,so the vectors of the electric fields point in the same direction.They both point to the negative charge.

Wow... Thank you and now I feel embarrassed for asking this question! I can't believe I overlooked this. Thank you.

Just be a little more patient with physics problems,however simple or confusing they might be.

Related to Electric field strength from x=-a to x = a

What is the definition of electric field strength from x=-a to x = a?

The electric field strength from x=-a to x = a is the measure of the electric force per unit charge at any point within the region between x=-a and x=a. It is typically denoted by the symbol E and is measured in units of volts per meter (V/m).

How is electric field strength calculated from x=-a to x = a?

The electric field strength is calculated by dividing the electric force acting on a point charge by the magnitude of the charge. In the case of a continuous charge distribution, it is calculated by integrating the electric field over the region between x=-a and x=a.

What factors affect the electric field strength from x=-a to x = a?

The electric field strength is affected by the magnitude and distribution of charges in the region between x=-a and x=a. It is also affected by the distance between the charges and the medium in which the charges are located.

What is the direction of the electric field from x=-a to x = a?

The direction of the electric field at any point within the region between x=-a and x=a is the direction in which a positive test charge would move if placed at that point. In other words, the electric field always points from positive charges to negative charges.

How is the concept of electric field strength from x=-a to x = a used in practical applications?

The concept of electric field strength is used in various practical applications, such as designing electronic devices, calculating the forces on charged particles, and studying the behavior of electrically charged systems. It is also used in understanding the properties of electromagnetic radiation and in the development of technologies such as power transmission and medical imaging.