Electric field strength between two disks?

In summary, the problem involves two 3.0 cm diameter disks facing each other, separated by 1.9mm, and charged to $$\pm 16nC$$. The field strength between the disks can be determined using the formula $$E = \frac{\sigma}{2\epsilon_0}$$, where $$\sigma$$ is the charge density and $$\epsilon_0$$ is the electric constant. In this case, the charge density is $$16*10^{-9}$$ and the electric field between the disks is approximately $$1.278*10^6$$ Newtons per Coulomb. For question (b), a proton is shot from the negative disk towards the positive disk and the launch speed needed for
Corey Bacon

Homework Statement

Two 3.0 cm diameter disks face each other, 1.9mm apart. They are charged to $$\pm 16nC$$.
(a). What is the field strength between the disks?
(b). A proton is shot from the negative disk toward the positive disk, what launch speed must the proton have to barely reach the positive disk?

I have attemped a solution for question (a), but MasteringPhysics says it is wrong.

Thanks heaps to anyone who can help
Corey

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

My attempt at question (a):
$$A = pi * r^2$$
$$r = 0.015$$
$$Q = 16*10^(-9)$$
$$E = Q/A*Epsilon_0 = Q/A*8.85*10^(-12) = 1.278*10^6 $$

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I may be wrong , but you seem to have taken Q as charge on the entire disk , and not on just one face of it .

Hope this helps .

Since the distance between the discs is very small compared with their diameter, you can treat it as two infinite parallel sheets. You need to involve the distance between them in the formula.

haruspex said:
Since the distance between the discs is very small compared with their diameter, you can treat it as two infinite parallel sheets. You need to involve the distance between them in the formula.
The electric field between the two discs would be , approximately , σ / 2ε0 . So why would you involve the distance between the plates ?

Qwertywerty said:
The electric field between the two discs would be , approximately , σ / 2ε0
Edit : σ / ε0 .

Qwertywerty said:
The electric field between the two discs would be , approximately , σ / 2ε0 . So why would you involve the distance between the plates ?
Whoops, I was thinking in terms of voltage, not charge. Thanks for picking that up.
Corey, in your final step you seem to have divided by an extra 2. I would guess this is because you forgot there are two plates, one with positive charge and one negative. Their fields add.

haruspex said:
Corey, in your final step you seem to have divided by an extra 2. I would guess this is because you forgot there are two plates, one with positive charge and one negative. Their fields add.
Actually , I believe he needs to divide further by two ( See post#2 ) .

Qwertywerty said:
Actually , I believe he needs to divide further by two ( See post#2 ) .
It doesn't matter which side of a disc the charge is on, it will state generate the same field in the gap.

haruspex said:
It doesn't matter which side of a disc the charge is on, it will state generate the same field in the gap.
The electric field in the gap will only be due to the charge present on discs , on the sides facing each other .

Qwertywerty said:
The electric field in the gap will only be due to the charge present on discs , on the sides facing each other .
What property of the disc could block the contribution from the charge on the far side of the disc?
Also, bear in mind that if the discs conduct then the two lots of charges will attract each other and most will finish up on the inner surfaces anyway.

Last edited:
haruspex said:
What property of the disc could block the contribution from the charge on the far side of the disc?
Hmm .. You're right . Thus I must correct my earler stance - the entire charge on the discs will lie on the sides facing each other .

And I've figured it out - the OP's just made a mistake in his calculations .

Related to Electric field strength between two disks?

1. What is electric field strength between two disks?

Electric field strength between two disks is a measure of the force that a charged particle experiences when placed between the two disks. It is a vector quantity and is measured in Newtons per Coulomb (N/C).

2. How is electric field strength calculated between two disks?

The electric field strength between two disks can be calculated by dividing the force acting on a charged particle by the magnitude of the charge. Mathematically, it is represented as E = F/q, where E is the electric field strength, F is the force, and q is the magnitude of the charge.

3. What factors can affect the electric field strength between two disks?

The electric field strength between two disks can be affected by several factors, including the distance between the disks, the magnitude of the charges on the disks, and the type of material the disks are made of. Additionally, the presence of other charged particles or objects in the vicinity can also affect the electric field strength.

4. How does the electric field strength between two disks relate to the voltage between them?

The electric field strength between two disks is directly proportional to the voltage between them. This means that as the voltage increases, the electric field strength also increases. Similarly, if the voltage decreases, the electric field strength decreases.

5. What are some real-world applications of understanding the electric field strength between two disks?

An understanding of the electric field strength between two disks is crucial in various fields, including electrical engineering, physics, and telecommunications. It is used in the design of capacitors, which are essential components in electronic devices. The concept is also applied in the study of electromagnetism and in the development of technologies like wireless charging.