Electric Field Strength at Center of Triangle

In summary, the problem involves three positive charges located at the corners of an equilateral triangle and asks to find the magnitude of the electric field at the center of the triangle. The solution involves finding the center of the triangle, calculating the distance from each point charge to the center using Pythagorean theorem, and then computing the electric field strength for each particle and adding them together. The mistake made in the attempt at a solution was a geometric error in calculating the center of the triangle.
rbrayana123

Homework Statement

Three positive charges, A, B and C, of 3 × 10-6, 2 × 10-6, and 3 × 10-6 Coulombs respectively, are located at the corners of an equilateral triangle of side 0.2 meters.

Find the magnitude in Newtons/Coulomb of the electric field at the center of the triangle.

Homework Equations

E = [itex]\frac{1}{4∏ε}[/itex] Ʃqjroj/roj2

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not quite sure what I'm doing wrong but I feel like it's something simple (and perhaps geometric). My triangle has a base on the x-axis and it's origin is at the center of the base. My basic approach is to find the center of the triangle.

Then, I compute the distance from each point charge to the center via Pythagorean.

Once I have that, I compute the electric field strength for each particle. Then, I take the x and y components and add them.

I've tried different centers for the triangle but I'm always off by a factor of 10.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey, just wanted to say that I figured it out. As I suspected, it was a geometric mistake when calculating the center of the triangle. Looks like I need to go over some middle school math =/

Related to Electric Field Strength at Center of Triangle

1. What is the formula for calculating electric field strength at the center of a triangle?

The formula for calculating electric field strength at the center of a triangle is given by E = kq/R^2, where k is the Coulomb's constant, q is the charge of the triangle, and R is the distance from the center of the triangle to the point where the electric field is being measured.

2. How do the charges at the vertices of a triangle affect the electric field at the center?

The charges at the vertices of a triangle have a direct impact on the electric field at the center. The magnitude and direction of the electric field depends on the magnitude and sign of the charges at the vertices, as well as the distance between the center and the vertices.

3. Is the electric field strength at the center of a triangle always zero?

No, the electric field strength at the center of a triangle is not always zero. It depends on the relative positions and magnitudes of the charges at the vertices. If the charges are symmetrically distributed, then the electric field at the center will be zero. However, if the charges are not symmetrically distributed, then the electric field will not be zero.

4. Does the shape of the triangle affect the electric field strength at the center?

Yes, the shape of the triangle does affect the electric field strength at the center. The electric field strength is directly proportional to the distance between the center and the vertices, so a triangle with longer sides will have a stronger electric field at the center compared to a triangle with shorter sides.

5. How can the electric field strength at the center of a triangle be used in practical applications?

The electric field strength at the center of a triangle can be used in various practical applications, such as determining the forces on charged particles within the triangle, calculating the potential energy of the system, and understanding the behavior of electric fields in complex geometries. It is also a fundamental concept in the study of electrostatics and can be applied in designing and optimizing electrical systems.