Electric Field Strenght on a point due to surface charge from an infinte sheet

In summary, the problem asks to determine the magnitude of the electric field at a distance of 6.40 cm from a large, thin, non-conducting sheet with a surface charge density of 0.3540 \muC/m^{2}. Using the equation for the electric field of an infinite sheet, E=\frac{\sigma}{2e}, the distance does not affect the field strength as it is approximately constant for distances small compared to the size of the sheet. Therefore, the solution is simply the electric field of the infinite sheet, which is E=\frac{\sigma}{2e}.
Failbot

Homework Statement

A large, thin, non-conducting sheet has a surface charge density of 0.3540 [tex]\mu[/tex]C/m[tex]^{2}[/tex]. Determine the magnitude of the electric field at a distance of 6.40 cm from the sheet.

Homework Equations

Electric Field of Charged Disc
E=[tex]\frac{\sigma}{2e\ =\ 1.602176462(63)\ \times\ 10^{-19}\ C}[/tex](1-[tex]\frac{z}{\sqrt{z^{2}+R^{2}}}[/tex])

Infinite sheet
E=[tex]\frac{\sigma}{2e}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea what to do here. I assume I use the infinite sheet equation but how would I use the 6.4 cm to find the field strength there? I feel like maybe I have to use the equation for field strength E=[tex]\frac{kQ}{r^{2}}[/tex] some how but I have no ideas.

Sorry for the sloppy post this is my first post on these boards...Help please.

Physics news on Phys.org
Failbot said:

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea what to do here...
Infinite sheet
E=[tex]\frac{\sigma}{2e}[/tex]

If you have a formula you believe is correct, why not use it? Sure, you can't substitute the distance into the formula, but that is because the formula says that the field is approximately constant for distances small compared to the expanse of the slab, so distance does not matter.

An analogous question in mechanics would be, "what is the gravitational field 1 meter off the ground of the Earth?". Then someone else might ask, "what is the gravitational field 100 meters off the ground of the Earth?". Hopefully the fact that someone threw in the exact height, even though it is not critical, would not prevent you from answering the question.

Related to Electric Field Strenght on a point due to surface charge from an infinte sheet

What is the formula for calculating the electric field strength at a point due to a surface charge from an infinite sheet?

The formula for calculating the electric field strength at a point due to a surface charge from an infinite sheet is E = σ/2ε0, where σ represents the surface charge density and ε0 is the permittivity of free space.

How does the distance from the infinite sheet affect the electric field strength at a point?

The electric field strength at a point is inversely proportional to the distance from the infinite sheet. This means that as the distance increases, the electric field strength decreases.

What is the direction of the electric field strength at a point due to a surface charge from an infinite sheet?

The electric field strength at a point due to a surface charge from an infinite sheet is always perpendicular to the sheet. This means that the field lines will point away from the sheet for positive charges and towards the sheet for negative charges.

Can the electric field strength at a point due to a surface charge from an infinite sheet be negative?

Yes, the electric field strength at a point can be negative if the charge on the sheet is negative. This indicates that the direction of the electric field is towards the sheet.

How does the surface charge density affect the electric field strength at a point due to an infinite sheet?

The electric field strength at a point is directly proportional to the surface charge density. This means that as the surface charge density increases, the electric field strength also increases.