Electric field stregth between charges

In summary: Yes, in this case, both E1 and E2 would be negative, but when we add them together, we take into account their direction (towards or away from the charges) and the negative signs cancel out. So the final answer would still be positive.
GRAvit__
1. What is the magnitude and direction of the electric field strength midway between a +60uC charge and a -30uC charge, if the charges are 2.0m apart?

2.E=kQ/r^2

E1=Kx-30u/1
E2=-2.75x10^5

E2=kx60u/1
E2=5.4x10^5

Etotal=E1 + E2 ----> 2.7x10^5 N/C towards the - charge (my book says i have this right)

The problem that i have is that i came across a question that's almost the same but different answer.

1. What is the magnitude and direction of the electric field strength midway between a 75uC charge and a -25uC charge, if the charges are 2.0m apart?

Now i did everything the same as the first one and came to

E1=kx-25u/1
E1=-2.25x10^5

E2=kx75u/1
E2=6.75x10^5

Etotal=E1+E2 ----> 4.5x10^5 N/C towards the - charge (my book says its wrong)

Book answer : 9.0x10^5

which would work if i took away the (-) from -2.25x10^5 and added them up but that's a different way of doing it from the first so I'm confused as to which way is right.

The only difference in the questions that i see is there's no (+) in front of the 75uC

Thanks for any help you can give me

Physics news on Phys.org
GRAvit__ said:
1. What is the magnitude and direction of the electric field strength midway between a +60uC charge and a -30uC charge, if the charges are 2.0m apart?

2.E=kQ/r^2

E1=Kx-30u/1
E2=-2.75x10^5

E2=kx60u/1
E2=5.4x10^5

Etotal=E1 + E2 ----> 2.7x10^5 N/C towards the - charge (my book says i have this right)

The problem that i have is that i came across a question that's almost the same but different answer.

1. What is the magnitude and direction of the electric field strength midway between a 75uC charge and a -25uC charge, if the charges are 2.0m apart?

Now i did everything the same as the first one and came to

E1=kx-25u/1
E1=-2.25x10^5

E2=kx75u/1
E2=6.75x10^5

Etotal=E1+E2 ----> 4.5x10^5 N/C towards the - charge (my book says its wrong)

Book answer : 9.0x10^5

which would work if i took away the (-) from -2.25x10^5 and added them up but that's a different way of doing it from the first so I'm confused as to which way is right.

The only difference in the questions that i see is there's no (+) in front of the 75uC

Thanks for any help you can give me
Your answer to the first problem is wrong too. The book is also wrong if it agreed with you.

Does the electric field due to a positive charge point towards it, or point a way from it?

Does the electric field due to a negative charge point towards it, or point a way from it?

The electric field would point away from a positive charge

The electric field would point towards a negative charge

(-)-------(m)---------(+)
<----- ...<-------

So you would just take out the negative and add it up? Negative is only referring to direction in this case?

GRAvit__ said:
(-)-------(m)---------(+)
<----- ...<-------

So you would just take out the negative and add it up? Negative is only referring to direction in this case?

Yes.

or they're both negative.

Related to Electric field stregth between charges

What is electric field strength?

Electric field strength refers to the amount of force that an electric charge experiences at a given point in space.

How is electric field strength calculated?

Electric field strength is calculated by dividing the force exerted on a test charge by the magnitude of the test charge. The formula for electric field strength is E = F/q, where E is the electric field strength, F is the force, and q is the magnitude of the test charge.

What is the unit of measurement for electric field strength?

The unit of measurement for electric field strength is newtons per coulomb (N/C). This unit represents the amount of force (in newtons) experienced by a charge of one coulomb placed in the electric field.

How does the distance between charges affect the electric field strength?

The electric field strength between two charges is inversely proportional to the distance between them. This means that as the distance between charges increases, the electric field strength decreases.

Can electric field strength be negative?

Yes, electric field strength can be negative. A negative electric field strength indicates the direction of the force is opposite to the direction of the electric field. This can occur when the charges are of opposite signs, causing the force to be attractive rather than repulsive.