Electric field Pre-lab annotation

In summary: This is what we're trying to find out.The distance x between point R and the line of charges is greater than the distance y between charges.
Max

Homework Statement

I am working on annotating the pre-lab for this Electric Field lab and needs to have some help look at my work. The second question of the Pre-Lab is comparing the answers between two persons Kate and Victor. Based ib this diagram below

* o (-1) *
* o (+1) *
* o (-1) *
(the separations between the three locations * to the three charges equal.

Victor said:" The net electric force at point R is to the left. The vertical components of the field due to two negative charges cancel out, and the positive charge ism closer to point R than the negative charges are,

Kate:" I agree the net electric charge field is along the horizontal axis. But there are two negative charges, and only one positive charge. this means the net electric field points to the right"

Homework Equations

Use vector algorithms

The Attempt at a Solution

:[/B]
I said: "
Victor said:" The net electric force at point R is to the left. The vertical components of the field due to two negative charges cancel out, and the positive charge is closer to point R than the negative charges are,

Kate:" I agree the net electric charge field is along the horizontal axis. But there are two negative charges, and only one positive charge. this means the net electric field points to the right"

The red ones are not correct because the x-component of the electric field vector due to the positive will make the vector sum of two negative vectors shorter, but not sufficient to shift the direction of the vector sum due to the negative charges. -> Kate was more problematic due to the red-bolded reasoning.

Do you agree with me that Victor is totally right or something else that I didn't notice?

Physics news on Phys.org
It would help if we knew where point R is. Can you post a reasonably drawn diagram? A photo of one should suffice if it is clear.

Likes Max
kuruman said:
It would help if we knew where point R is. Can you post a reasonably drawn diagram? A photo of one should suffice if it is clear.
R is a random point. I think I would say it's in a straight line
* o (-1) *
R* o (+1) *
* o (-1) *

R is that point!

Thanks for asking

So you have three charges equally spaced on a line. How does the distance x between point R and the line of charges compare with the distance y between charges?

Related to Electric field Pre-lab annotation

1. What is an electric field?

The electric field is a property of space around a charged object that exerts a force on other charged objects placed within it. It is represented by electric field lines and its strength is measured in newtons per coulomb (N/C).

2. How is an electric field created?

An electric field is created by a charged object, such as an electron or a proton. The charged object creates an electric field in all directions around it, with the strength of the field decreasing as the distance from the object increases.

3. What is the formula for calculating electric field?

The formula for calculating electric field is E = F/q, where E is the electric field strength, F is the force on a test charge, and q is the magnitude of the test charge. It can also be represented by the equation E = kQ/r^2, where k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the charge of the source object, and r is the distance from the source object.

4. What is the difference between electric field and electric potential?

Electric field is a vector quantity that represents the force per unit charge on a test charge placed in the field. Electric potential, on the other hand, is a scalar quantity that represents the potential energy per unit charge at a certain point in the electric field. In other words, electric potential is the amount of work needed to move a unit charge from one point to another in the electric field.

5. How is electric field measured?

Electric field can be measured using an instrument called an electric field meter or a voltmeter. These devices measure the strength of the electric field in units of volts per meter (V/m).