Electric Field & Potential from Two Conductors

In summary, the conversation discusses two isolated, concentric, conducting spherical shells with different radii and charges. The question is to find the magnitude of the electric field and potential at various radial distances. The electric fields at different regions are listed and the process of calculating the electric potential is explained. The solution involves integrating from infinity to the desired radius, taking into account the changing electric field at different points.
Potatochip911

Homework Statement

Two isolated, concentric, conducting spherical shells have radii R1=0.500 m and R2=1.00 m, uniform charges q1=2.00 mC and q2=1.00 mC, and negligible thicknesses. What is the magnitude of the electric field E at radial distance (a) r=4.00 m, (b) r=0.700 m, and (c) r=0.200 m? With V=0 at infinity, what is V at (d) r=4.00 m, (e) r=1.00 m, (f) r=0.700 m, (g) r=0.500 m,(h) r=0.200 m, and (i) r=0? ( j) Sketch E(r) and V(r).

Homework Equations

##\oint \vec{E}\cdot\vec{dA}=\frac{q_{encl}}{\varepsilon_0}##
##V_f-V_i=-\int_i^f\vec{E}\cdot d\vec{s}##

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not having any trouble with the electric fields so I will just list the results:

##r<R_1, \hspace{5mm} E=0##
##R_1<r<R_2, \hspace{5mm} E=\frac{q_1}{4\pi\varepsilon_0 r^2}##
##R_1<R_2<r, \hspace{5mm} E=\frac{q_1+q_2}{4\pi\varepsilon_0 r^2}##

I am quite confused by the electric potential however, taking ##V_i=0## at infinity, I don't understand the process of calculating the electric potential.

$$V=-\int_{\infty}^{r}\vec{E}\cdot d\vec{s}$$

I'm not sure what to replace ##d\vec{s}## with, perhaps a vector ##d\vec{r}## that goes outwards radially and then integrating along the radius. Although, suppose I want to integrate to an ##r>R_2##, the Electric Field changes throughout the the integration at points ##r=R_1## and ##r=R_2##. How would I go about doing this?

Edit: Solved, split integral up so that the correct electric field is in place for the desired radius

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well done.

Likes Potatochip911

Related to Electric Field & Potential from Two Conductors

1. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a region of space around a charged object where other charged particles experience a force. This force can either attract or repel other charged particles, depending on their charges.

2. How is the electric field created between two conductors?

The electric field between two conductors is created by the movement of electrons in the conductors. When a conductor is connected to a power source, the electrons in the conductor start to move, creating an electric field in the space around the conductors.

3. How does the potential differ from the electric field?

The electric potential is a measure of the electric potential energy per unit charge at a given point in space. It is a scalar quantity and is related to the electric field by a mathematical formula. The electric field, on the other hand, is a vector quantity that represents the direction and strength of the force experienced by charged particles in a given space.

4. How are the electric field and potential related between two conductors?

The electric field and potential between two conductors are interrelated. The electric field is directly proportional to the potential gradient, which is the change in potential over a given distance. This means that the electric field can be calculated by taking the derivative of the potential with respect to distance.

5. How can the electric field and potential be calculated between two conductors?

The electric field and potential between two conductors can be calculated using Coulomb's law, which states that the electric field is inversely proportional to the distance between two charged objects and directly proportional to the product of their charges. Additionally, the potential between two conductors can be calculated using the equation V = kQ/r, where V is the potential, k is the Coulomb constant, Q is the charge, and r is the distance between the conductors.