Electric Field/Oscillation Problem

• Thread starter barnsworth
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Electric
In summary, the conversation discusses the properties of a small bead with mass m and charge q sliding along a thin rod of length L. Fixed charges Q are located at each end of the rod. The electric field due to the charges Q can be expressed as kQ[(L/2+x)^-2 - (L/2-x)^-2]^I, where x is the distance from the midpoint of the rod. For x << L, the magnitude of the field is proportional to x. Additionally, if q and Q have the same sign, the force acting on the bead will be directed towards the center of the rod and will also be proportional to x. To find the period of oscillation for the bead when it is displaced from
barnsworth
A small bead of mass m, carrying a charge q, is constrained to slide along a thin rod of length L. Charges Q are fixed at each end of the rod.

a) Obtain an expression for the electric field due to the charges Q as a function of x, where x is the distance from the midpoint of the rod. (Answer is kQ[(L/2+x)^-2 - (L/2-x)^-2]^I)

b) Show that for x << L, the magnitude of the field is proportional to x.

c) Show that if q is of the same sign as Q as, the force that acts on the object mass m is always directed toward the center of the rod and is proportional to x.

d) Find the period of the oscillation of the mass m if it is displaced by a small distance from the center of the rod and then released. (Answer is 2 * pi * sqrt(mL^3 /32kqQ) ).
--------------------

So part (a) was pretty easy. I just did E = kQ/r^2 – kQ/r^2 and got the book answer.

The next three parts i don't know what to do. For part (d) i know that T = 2 pi * sqrt(m / k).
Then i did kx = qE to solve for "k" of spring, plugged in E, but it left me with some overly complicated equation.

Anyways, thanks for any help in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
For b), you got the equation so it will be pretty simple to explain that the magnitude is proportional of the E-field to x. For example, you can try and make x, 2 times larger, and see what happens. And remember that x << L.

c) Use coulomb's law and get the force.

d) Put all the forces together in one equation and solve for the period. Just like a normal Simple Harmonic Oscillation, I guess.

Thanks for the response, f -- but I'm still not quite sure not to do on (d).

I did:

Coulomb's law:
kQq/(1/2L+x)^2 - kQq/(1/2L-x)^2 = kx = ma.
a = kQq/m(1/2L+x)^2 - kQq/m(1/2L-x)^2.
2pi*f = sqrt(kQq/m(1/2L+x)^3 - kQq/m(1/2L-x)^3)

Which is definitely wrong... I guess it would help if i remembered exactly how to do SHM.

Related to Electric Field/Oscillation Problem

1. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a region in space where an electrically charged particle experiences a force. It is created by electric charges and can be either positive or negative. The strength and direction of the electric field are determined by the magnitude and distribution of the charges.

2. What factors affect the magnitude of an electric field?

The magnitude of an electric field is affected by the distance between charges, the magnitude of the charges, and the medium in which the charges are located. In addition, the presence of conductors or insulators can also impact the strength of an electric field.

3. How do you calculate the strength of an electric field?

The strength of an electric field can be calculated using the equation E = kQ/r^2, where E is the electric field strength, k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the magnitude of the charge, and r is the distance from the charge.

4. What is an electric field oscillation?

An electric field oscillation is a periodic variation in the strength and direction of an electric field. This can occur when an alternating current is passed through a circuit, causing the electric charges to move back and forth, resulting in an oscillating electric field.

5. How are electric field oscillations used in technology?

Electric field oscillations are used in various technologies, such as radio and TV broadcasting, where they are used to transmit electromagnetic waves. They are also used in devices such as antennas and transmitters, which convert electrical energy into electromagnetic waves for communication purposes.