Electric Field On A Point Charge Due To A Uniformly Charged Rod

In summary, the conversation is about setting up an integral to calculate the electric field on a point charge at a distance "a" from a uniformly charged rod of length "L". The linear charge density is given by λ=(Q/L) and for an infinitely small piece of charge, we use dQ=λ*dL. The formula for the electric field is E=q/((4∏ε)*r^2), where r is the distance from the point charge. To find an expression for the electric field produced by the small piece of charge, we substitute q with dQ and get dE=λ*dL / ((4∏ε)*r^2). The distance from y=a to any arbitrary y on the charged rod
Unix

Homework Statement

This is regarding setting up an integral to calculate the electric field on a point charge that is at a distance "a" from a uniformly charged rod of length "L". I have attached a picture of my work, which includes a diagram of the problem, and wanted to know if my thought process is correct.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Finding a general expression for the electric field produced by an infinitely small "piece" of charge and then adding them all up. The charged rod is parallel to the y-axis and it's center is at the origin.

We know that the linear charge density is

λ=(Q/L).

For an infinitely small piece of charge, we say λ=(dQ/dL), so dQ=λ*dL

The formula for the Electric field on a point charge is E=q/((4∏ε)*r^2)

To find an expression for the Electric field produced by the small piece of charge, we can replace q with dQ

dE=dQ/((4∏ε)*r^2)

(substitue λ*dL for dQ)

dE=λ*dL / ((4∏ε)*r^2)

The part that I am unsure about is finding an expression for the "r". Would it be reasonable to say that "r = (a+y)", where y is the variable that I am integrating, and my limits of integration would be [(-L/2),(L/2)]? The reason I am saying (a+y) is because if I plug "-L/2" in for y, then (a-(L/2)) is the distance from the point charge "a" to the end of the rod that is above the origin. If I plug in "L/2" for y, then (a+(L/2)) takes care of the distance from the point charge "a" to the end of the rod below the origin. If I plug in 0 for y, then I simply get "a" which makes sense, since that is the distance from the origin to the point charge.

I hope my post was formatted correctly, please let me know if It is not, and I will be sure to make changes in the future

Attachments

• Scan 35.jpg
    Scan 35.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 642
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Unix! :smile:

(try using the X2 button just above the Reply box :wink:)

Yes that all seems ok so far …

what is worrying you about that?​

(btw, are you sure the diagram is correct? these questions usually have the point charge perpendicular to the rod)

Unix said:

Homework Statement

This is regarding setting up an integral to calculate the electric field on a point charge that is at a distance "a" from a uniformly charged rod of length "L". I have attached a picture of my work, which includes a diagram of the problem, and wanted to know if my thought process is correct.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Finding a general expression for the electric field produced by an infinitely small "piece" of charge and then adding them all up. The charged rod is parallel to the y-axis and it's center is at the origin.

We know that the linear charge density is

λ=(Q/L).

For an infinitely small piece of charge, we say λ=(dQ/dL), so dQ=λ*dL

The formula for the Electric field on a point charge is E=q/((4∏ε)*r^2)

To find an expression for the Electric field produced by the small piece of charge, we can replace q with dQ

dE=dQ/((4∏ε)*r^2)

(substitue λ*dL for dQ)

dE=λ*dL / ((4∏ε)*r^2)

The part that I am unsure about is finding an expression for the "r". Would it be reasonable to say that "r = (a+y)", where y is the variable that I am integrating, and my limits of integration would be [(-L/2),(L/2)]? The reason I am saying (a+y) is because if I plug "-L/2" in for y, then (a-(L/2)) is the distance from the point charge "a" to the end of the rod that is above the origin. If I plug in "L/2" for y, then (a+(L/2)) takes care of the distance from the point charge "a" to the end of the rod below the origin. If I plug in 0 for y, then I simply get "a" which makes sense, since that is the distance from the origin to the point charge.

I hope my post was formatted correctly, please let me know if It is not, and I will be sure to make changes in the future
The distance from y=a to any arbitrary y on the charged rod is a - y .

Therefore, r = (a - y) .

Thank you for your quick responses! :)

Tiny-tim: All of the examples in my physics book did in fact consist of charges that were perpendicular to the rod. I hadn't tried a problem where the charge was on the same axis as the rod so I thought I would give it a shot and make sure I could reason it out if I saw it on an exam (I mainly posted up here to get confirmation on my thought process :) ).

SammyS:
I plugged in a few numbers into (a-y) and it makes sense now. By having (a-y), then the negative sign accounts for points that are below the axis such as (a-(-L/2)) correct?

Unix said:
Thank you for your quick responses! :)

SammyS:
I plugged in a few numbers into (a-y) and it makes sense now. By having (a-y), then the negative sign accounts for points that are below the axis such as (a-(-L/2)) correct?
Yes.

Related to Electric Field On A Point Charge Due To A Uniformly Charged Rod

1. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a physical quantity that describes the effect of electric charges on other charges. It is represented by a vector that points in the direction of the force a positive charge would experience at a given point in space.

2. What is a point charge?

A point charge is a hypothetical charge that has a negligible size compared to the distance at which it is being observed. It is used to simplify calculations in electrostatics and represents the behavior of a larger, more complex charge distribution.

3. How is the electric field on a point charge calculated?

The electric field on a point charge is calculated using Coulomb's law, which states that the magnitude of the electric field at a given point is directly proportional to the magnitude of the charge and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between the two charges.

4. What is a uniformly charged rod?

A uniformly charged rod is a physical object with a linear charge density, meaning that the charge is evenly distributed along its length. This distribution can be represented by a linear function with units of charge per unit length.

5. How does a uniformly charged rod affect the electric field on a point charge?

A uniformly charged rod will create a constant electric field at all points along its length. The magnitude of the field will depend on the distance from the rod, with the strongest field being closest to the rod. The direction of the field will be determined by the direction of the charge on the rod, with positive charges creating an outward field and negative charges creating an inward field.