Electric Field of Uniformly Charged Ring: Derivation Explained

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the electrical field for a uniformly charged ring and deriving it with respect to z. The given expression for the electric field is only valid along the ring's symmetry axis. The person asking the question has tried to find the derivative but is unsure about the simplifications made in the book. After some discussion, they figure out the correct expression for the derivative and successfully solve the problem. The conversation ends with the person thanking their helper and wishing them luck with their studies.
dido28
hi every one on an exercise on book we ask us to find the electrical field for a uniformly charged ring where we going to find : E=kqz/(z2+R2)3/2
then we have to derivate it wth respect to z and we find : dE/dz=kq*(R2+2z2)/(z2+R2)5/2
so my question is how do we get this derivation ?

Physics news on Phys.org
You will have show us what you have *tried* thus far. Where did you get stuck in the derivation when you tried it yourself? Also note that the given expression is only the electric field produced by the uniformly charged static ring at points along its symmetry axis (in case you didn't know already).

well me i found : dE/dz=qk[ (z2+R2)3/2-3z2(z2+R2)-1/2 ]/(z2+R2)3
i just applied the rule that i know but in the book it seems that they did some simplification so my question is how they did this

Oh are you only interested in finding the derivative? Do you already know how to get the electric field itself?

yes that's it

Are you sure it wasn't ##R^2 - 2z^2## as opposed to ##R^2 + 2z^2## in the numerator of the final answer?

oh yes sorry it's R2-2z2 :shy:

Ok. Would you agree that, before doing any simplifications, the derivative comes out to ##\frac{\mathrm{d} E}{\mathrm{d} z} = \frac{kq}{(z^2 + R^2)^{3/2}} - \frac{3kqz^2}{(z^2 + R^2)^{5/2}}##? All I have done is use the product and chain rule; I haven't done any simplifications at all. Now, can you find a way to combine these two expressions?

yes it's done i get the result . thanks for your help WannabeNewton

I didn't do anything mate! It was all you :) Good luck with your studies.

Related to Electric Field of Uniformly Charged Ring: Derivation Explained

What is the formula for the electric field of a uniformly charged ring?

The formula for the electric field of a uniformly charged ring is E = kQz/(z^2 + R^2)^(3/2), where k is the Coulomb constant, Q is the total charge of the ring, z is the distance from the center of the ring, and R is the radius of the ring.

What is a uniformly charged ring?

A uniformly charged ring is a hypothetical ring with a constant distribution of charge on its surface. This means that the charge is evenly spread out along the entire circumference of the ring.

How is the electric field of a uniformly charged ring derived?

The electric field of a uniformly charged ring is derived using calculus and the principle of superposition. The ring is divided into small segments and the electric field contribution from each segment is calculated. The contributions are then added together to get the total electric field at a specific point.

What is the significance of the distance from the center in the formula for the electric field of a uniformly charged ring?

The distance from the center of the ring, z, is a crucial factor in the formula for the electric field. As z increases, the electric field decreases, showing an inverse relationship. This means that the electric field is stronger closer to the ring and weaker farther away.

Is the electric field of a uniformly charged ring affected by the radius of the ring?

Yes, the electric field is affected by the radius of the ring. As the radius increases, the electric field at a specific point decreases. This is because the charge is spread out over a larger area, resulting in a weaker electric field at a distance.