Electric Field of Concentric Spheres and Opposite Charges

In summary: It's like all the charge is concentrated at the center, even though it's actually spread out. So the electric field behaves as if there is a point charge at the center. In summary, the problem involves two concentric spheres, one with radius R1 and the other with radius R2. The inner sphere has a positive charge density, +ρ, while the region between the two spheres has a negative charge density, -ρ. Using Gauss' Law, the net charge inside the region can be found by setting the charge densities equal to each other. The resulting electric field behaves as if there is a point charge at the center.
idkwhatimdoing

Homework Statement

The figure to the right shows two concentric spheres made from insulators. One has radius and the other has radius R1, and the other has radius R2. The inner sphere has a positive charge density, +ρ, while the insulator region between the inner and outer spheres has a negative charge density, −ρ.

IWL71Lh.png

Homework Equations

Gauss' Law

The Attempt at a Solution

a. I wrote expressions that represented each portion's charge densities, and set them equal to each other because the magnitudes of the charge densities are the same; I got 2.

b. I used a Gaussian sphere with radius r and enclosed a portion of the smaller sphere; solved

c. I used a Gaussian sphere with radius R2>r>R1. I expressed the charge of the small sphere as (4/3)π(R1)ρ. The other portion would be a sphere with radius r with a spherical cavity with radius R1 and charge density -ρ. I expressed its charge as (4/3)π(r^3-R1^3)(-ρ). I added these two together to get the enclosed charge, but I'm not sure how to express the flux in terms of E and dA. I know the negatively charged portion would have field lines entering the surface, and thus leading to a negative dot product, but would the positively charged sphere have an effect as well? Not sure what to do from here.

Any help would be appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
You seem to be almost there. Having found the net charge inside the sphere radius r, R1<r<R2, isn't writing down the field at r immediate?

Would it be the same as the electric field of a point charge?

The formulation of this problem is terrible.

There is one sphere, the one with R = R1, then there is a spherical shell from r = R1 to R = R2. There are not two shells, nor an "insulating layer" between them.

Anyway, you're well on your way. I also don't see why it isn't immedialtely apparent to you what the E field has to be for R1 < r < R2. Just use Gauss's law! ε∫∫E⋅dA = Qfree inside the surface! It doesn't matter that some of the charge inside is + and some of it -, as long as all charge is distributed symmetrically with respect to the spherical coordinates φ and θ, which they are.

Last edited:
idkwhatimdoing said:
Would it be the same as the electric field of a point charge?
Yes, that's the neat thing about charges with a spherically symmetric distribution.

Related to Electric Field of Concentric Spheres and Opposite Charges

1. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a physical quantity that describes the influence that electric charges have on each other. It is a vector field that exerts a force on other electrically charged objects within its vicinity.

2. How are concentric spheres related to electric fields?

Concentric spheres are a type of arrangement commonly used to study the electric field. In this setup, two or more spheres are placed inside each other, with one being the inner sphere and the others being outer spheres. The electric field between the spheres can be calculated using the distance between them and the charge on each sphere.

3. What is the significance of opposite charges in the electric field of concentric spheres?

The electric field of concentric spheres with opposite charges is a commonly studied topic in physics. This arrangement allows for the calculation of the electric field at different points between the spheres, as well as the potential difference between the spheres. It also helps in understanding the concept of capacitance.

4. How is the electric field calculated for concentric spheres with opposite charges?

The electric field between two concentric spheres with opposite charges can be calculated using the formula E = kQ/r², where E is the electric field, k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the charge on the sphere, and r is the distance between the spheres. This formula applies to both the inner and outer spheres.

5. What are some real-life applications of concentric spheres and opposite charges in the electric field?

Concentric spheres and opposite charges are commonly used in capacitors, which are essential components in many electronic devices. They are also used in particle accelerators, where charged particles are accelerated through a series of concentric spheres with opposite charges. This arrangement allows for precise control of the electric field and the particles' motion.