Electric field of a semi circle

In summary, the problem involves finding the electric field at the center of a semicircle with uniform charge distribution. The integral solution for the electric field is given by Ey = kQ/(pi*a^2)* integral from 0 to pi of sin(theta) dtheta. This is derived by considering the infinitesimal charge contributions along the semicircle and summing them up using integration. The linear density lambda is used to represent the charge distribution along the arc, and the integration variable is changed to make the integration easier.
madah12

Homework Statement

[PLAIN]http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/2786/21417885.png
[96]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

E= kdq/r^2
dq=Q/(pi a) dx
Ex = 0 , Ey= E sintheta
sin theta = sqrt(a^2 - x^2)/a by Pythagorean theorem
Ey = kQ/(pi a* a^3) integral from -a to a sqrt(a^2 - x^2)dx
= kQ/(pi a^4) *pi a^2/2= kQ/2a^2 but in the manual it says E= 2kQ/pi*a^2

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,

You could try an integral in function of [tex]\theta[/tex].

but I already did it as a function of x why was that wrong?
I think that is ok because every point in the semi circle can be expressed by the x cooridnate

Last edited:
any help?

madah12 said:
dq=Q/(pi a) dx
Ex = 0 , Ey= E sintheta
sin theta = sqrt(a^2 - x^2)/a by Pythagorean theorem
Ey = kQ/(pi a* a^3) integral from -a to a sqrt(a^2 - x^2)dx
= kQ/(pi a^4) *pi a^2/2= kQ/2a^2 but in the manual it says E= 2kQ/pi*a^2

Your dq means uniform charge distribution along x; but it is uniform along the arc. dq=Q/(pi a) (a dtheta). Integrate wit respect to theta. ehild

Ey = Q/(pi a * a^2) integral from 0 to pi a*sin theta d theta
= -Q/(pi a^2) (-1-1) = 2Q/(pi*a^2)

Do not forget k.

ehild

oh ok but so if we are not integrating along the x-axis then are integrating along the circle?

but how can we know that dq= Q/(pi a) (a dtheta) represents integration over the arc? I did it because you said that it did but I don't understand it.

what I am asking is that how can I know what dq is if I am not integrating over a straight line
I mean I was never taught how to integrate over a curved line.

You are integrating over the semi-circle because you are varying the angle. Every infinitesimal charge dQ will have a different angle in relation to the point P, so you have to count it.

So:

[tex]dQ = \lambda dl [/tex]
[tex]dl = r d \theta[/tex]

[tex]\lambda = \frac{Q}{l}[/tex]

(lambda is the linear density.)

The problem said that the charge is uniformly distributed along the semicircle. It means that a tiny piece of the arc of length dl has the charge dq=Q/(pi a) dl. But the length of arc is proportional to the angle in radians: dl = radius times angle,
dl = a*d(theta).
You know that the integration variable can be changed. It is easier to integrate along the length of arc than along x.

All the dq charges along the semicircle contribute to the electric field at the centre, and you have to sum up their contributions.
All these little charges belong to a certain angle theta and their electric field is parallel to the radius. The x components cancel and the y components are kdq/a^2 sin(theta). Replace dq by Q/(pi a)* dl, dl by a*dtheta, and instead of the sum, you do integration.

ehild

Related to Electric field of a semi circle

1. What is the definition of electric field?

The electric field is a physical quantity that describes the strength and direction of the electric force experienced by a charged particle at any given point in space.

2. How is the electric field of a semi circle calculated?

The electric field of a semi circle can be calculated by using the equation E = kq/r^2, where E is the electric field, k is the Coulomb's constant, q is the charge of the semi circle, and r is the distance from the center of the semi circle to the point where the electric field is being measured.

3. What is the direction of the electric field in a semi circle?

The electric field in a semi circle is always directed away from the center of the semi circle, perpendicular to the tangent of the circle at that point.

4. How does the electric field change as you move away from the semi circle?

The electric field decreases as you move away from the semi circle, following the inverse square law. This means that the electric field is stronger closer to the semi circle and becomes weaker as the distance increases.

5. How does the electric field of a semi circle differ from that of a full circle?

The electric field of a semi circle is only half of that of a full circle, as the charge is distributed over a smaller area. Additionally, the direction of the electric field in a semi circle is always perpendicular to the tangent of the circle, whereas in a full circle it varies depending on the location of the point being measured.