Electric field of a non uniform charge of a cylinder

In summary, a long solid cylinder of radius 4.2 cm has a non-uniform volume charge density along its radial dimension, given by the function ρ = Ar2. The electric field at a radial distance of 5.2 cm from the axis of the cylinder is 3.71887 N/C, while the electric field at a radial distance of 3.2 cm from the axis of the cylinder is 4.07285 N/C.
TwinCamGTS

Homework Statement

A very long solid cylinder of radius R = 4.2 cm has a non-uniform volume charge density along its radial dimension, given by the function ρ = Ar2, where A = +2.2 µC/m5.

a)How much total charge is contained on a 1 m length of this cylinder?

b)Outside: What is the electric field at a radial distance of 5.2 cm from the axis of the cylinder?

c)Inside: What is the electric field at a radial distance of 3.2 cm from the axis of the cylinder?

Homework Equations

use gauss law to find the electric field

total charge = ρ * area of the cylinder = A*(r^2)*2∏*r*L = A*2∏*L*r^3

electric field inside the cylinder E = (ρ * r)/(2 * εo)

electric field outside the cylinder E = ( λ )/(2∏ * r * εo)

The Attempt at a Solution

a)How much total charge is contained on a 1 m length of this cylinder?

first of all we need to find the total charge of contained on a 1 m length of the cylinder
the volume charge density is changing by the radial dimension ( the radius).
so, to find the total charge for the cylinder with radius 4.2cm,
we need to do the integral for the charge equation
so total charge is
∫A*2∏*L*r^3 dr , the result is (.5∏*A*L*r^4)
plugin the value of A, L , and r we get (1.07532E-11 C)

Outside: What is the electric field at a radial distance of 5.2 cm from the axis of the cylinder?

electric field outside the cylinder E = ( λ )/(2∏ * r * εo) i got (3.71887 N/C)

c)Inside: What is the electric field at a radial distance of 3.2 cm from the axis of the cylinder?

I have problem with this one, based on the equation, electric field inside the cylinder
E = (ρ * r)/(2 * εo) , i just plug in everything into the formula
E = ((A*r^2)*r)/(2*εo)
= ((2.2E-6)*(.032^3))/(2*(8.85E-12))
= 4.07285 N/C

but the answe is wrong.

I just wonder, do i have to redo the integration for this part again? E = ((A*r^2)*r)/(2*εo)
I thought if i do the integration, isn't it become voltage?

thank you for your time and reply

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello.

The formula you used in part (c) for E is not valid for this problem.

Try Gauss' law to derive E inside the cylinder.

like ∫(Ar^2)*r*dr = A∫r^3*dr
then plug everything back to the original equation?

TwinCamGTS said:
like ∫(Ar^2)*r*dr = A∫r^3*dr
then plug everything back to the original equation?

Not sure I'm following you here. Does your integral represent charge in some region? If so, what region?

What equation is the "original equation"?

Since this looks like a problem for the application of Gauss' law, start with the statement of Gauss' law. Then think about how you would apply this law to the problem of finding E inside the cylinder.

The formula you used in part (c) for E is for the case where the charge density is uniform inside the cylinder. If you look back in your notes or textbook at the derivation of this formula using Gauss' law, it should provide a guide for setting up Gauss' law for your problem.

Almost: like ##\int_0^r \rho dV = 2\pi A\int_0^r r'^2 r'dr'##

[edit]drat, crossed TS reply again. Over to you, TS!

And: I take it the "equation, electric field inside the cylinder" is for a homogeneous charge distribution, which we don't have here. Right, Twin ?

i got it, thanks...so the density charge gets higher as the radius get bigger.
so i integrated the parts Qenc = ∫(A*r^2)2∏*r*H*dr r=Radius of gauss
put into the gauss law
EA=Qenclosed/εo

E(2∏*r*H)=(∫(A*r^2)2∏*r*H*dr)/εo

rearrange everything and cancel some of the variable (jump to final equation)

E=(A*r^3)/(4*εo)

Nice. Good work!

Related to Electric field of a non uniform charge of a cylinder

1. What is the definition of electric field?

Electric field is a physical quantity that describes the strength and direction of the force experienced by an electric charge at any given point in space.

2. How is the electric field of a non uniform charge of a cylinder calculated?

The electric field of a non uniform charge of a cylinder can be calculated using the equation E = kQ/r, where E is the electric field, k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the charge of the cylinder, and r is the distance from the center of the cylinder.

3. What is the difference between a uniform and non uniform charge distribution?

A uniform charge distribution means that the charge is evenly distributed throughout the object, while a non uniform charge distribution means that the charge is not evenly distributed and may vary at different points.

4. How does the electric field change as the distance from the cylinder increases?

The strength of the electric field decreases as the distance from the cylinder increases, following an inverse square law. This means that the electric field decreases by a factor of four as the distance increases by a factor of two.

5. Can the electric field of a non uniform charge of a cylinder be negative?

Yes, the electric field can be negative if the charge distribution of the cylinder is non uniform and the direction of the electric field points towards the cylinder instead of away from it. This can happen if there is a higher concentration of charge on one side of the cylinder compared to the other.