Electric Field of a hollow conducting spherical shell

In summary, a hollow conducting spherical shell with radii of .80m and 1.20m carries a net charge of -500 nC and has a stationary point charge of +300 nC at the center. To calculate the electric field at points a) 0.30m, b) 1.00m, and c) 1.50m, Gauss' law can be used. The charge distribution on the shell is spherically symmetric, so a thin shell at any radius would have a uniform charge. Therefore, the electric field inside the shell would be zero due to the isolated charge. However, Gauss' law tells us that the electric field at 0.30m is not zero.
swervin09

Homework Statement

A hollow conducting spherical shell has radii of .80m and 1.20m. The sphere carries a net charge of -500 nC. A stationary point charge of +300 nC is present at the center origin. Calculate the electric field at points:
a) 0.30m
b) 1.00m
c) 1.50m

I have attached the image as a document. because I didn't know how to paste it directly to the thread. Sorry for any inconvenience this may cause.

Homework Equations

E = (kq)/r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I am able to solve the questions asked with ease. My only doubt is whether or not the .30m is E=0 because of its location within the hollow space of the conducting sphere.

Attachments

• hollow conducting sphere.docx
    114.1 KB · Views: 506
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Will the charge on the shell be radially symmetric? If so, what field will that charge create inside the shell cavity?

My answer to your question is yes, the problem states that it is a conducting sphere which tells me that the because there is a + charge at center then the inner wall of the conductor has a - charges due to polarization. But this also causes a bit of confusion for me because if the net charge is negative then by definition its excess charge is on the surface.

in the hollow the radial charge is radially outward toward the (-) charges that are on the inner wall of the conducting sphere.
At the second layer, the conducting sphere's solid area, the charge is radially inward due to the charge polarization and the + charges that are along the outer-most wall of the conducting sphere.
Lastly, the outer edge of the conducting sphere has - charges on its outer surface, but this is where I am second guessing because it seems to me that those charges are too close to the + charges that are on the inner wall of the outer-most wall of the conducting sphere.

but E = 0 inside the conductor. That I am certain of and there is definitely an E field outside the entire sphere.

Thanks in advance for helping.

swervin09 said:
but E = 0 inside the conductor.
It certainly would be zero if there were no isolated charge. Or are you saying that the shell generates no field inside itself, despite the isolated charge?
You've agreed that the charge on the shell is spherically symmetric. So consider a thin shell of it at some radius. The charge is uniform on that shell. What field will that generate inside itself?

swervin09 said:

Homework Statement

A hollow conducting spherical shell has radii of .80m and 1.20m. The sphere carries a net charge of -500 nC. A stationary point charge of +300 nC is present at the center origin. Calculate the electric field at points:
a) 0.30m
b) 1.00m
c) 1.50m

I have attached the image as a document. because I didn't know how to paste it directly to the thread. Sorry for any inconvenience this may cause.

Homework Equations

E = (kq)/r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I am able to solve the questions asked with ease. My only doubt is whether or not the .30m is E=0 because of its location within the hollow space of the conducting sphere.

What does Gauss' law tell you it is?
Hint: it's not E = 0.

Related to Electric Field of a hollow conducting spherical shell

1. What is the definition of electric field?

Electric field is a physical quantity that describes the strength and direction of the electric force experienced by a charged particle at a given point in space.

2. What is a hollow conducting spherical shell?

A hollow conducting spherical shell is a spherical shell made of a highly conductive material, such as metal, with no charge inside and a uniform charge distribution on its surface.

3. How is the electric field of a hollow conducting spherical shell calculated?

The electric field of a hollow conducting spherical shell is calculated using the equation E = kQ/r^2, where k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the total charge on the shell, and r is the distance from the center of the shell to the point where the electric field is being measured.

4. Why is the electric field inside a hollow conducting spherical shell zero?

Inside a hollow conducting spherical shell, the electric field is zero because the charges on the surface of the shell cancel out the electric field due to the charges inside the shell. This is known as the Faraday cage effect.

5. How does the electric field vary with distance from the center of a hollow conducting spherical shell?

The electric field is inversely proportional to the square of the distance from the center of the shell. This means that as the distance increases, the electric field decreases. At the surface of the shell, the electric field is directly proportional to the surface charge density.