Electric field of a charged nucleus (sphere) Gauss Law

In summary, the question is asking why this model/behaviour for r>>R might be "reasonable" when using Gauss's law. q(r) is needed for Gauss's law to produce the electric field given. rho(r) in turn is needed to produce this q(r).
Boon28
ok guys.. this question is regarding a spherical nucleus with radius R related to Gauss's Law... so where the electric field given as the following:

E(r) = Q/4*pi*epsilon-nought(r^2+R^2)

1. the questions asks "why this model/behaviour for r>>R might be "reasonable"
2. what q(r) is needed for Gauss's law to produce the above E(r)
3. what rho(r) in turn is needed to produce this q(r)?

Physics news on Phys.org
Boon28 said:
ok guys.. this question is regarding a spherical nucleus with radius R related to Gauss's Law... so where the electric field given as the following:

E(r) = Q/4*pi*epsilon-nought(r^2+R^2)

1. the questions asks "why this model/behaviour for r>>R might be "reasonable"
2. what q(r) is needed for Gauss's law to produce the above E(r)
3. what rho(r) in turn is needed to produce this q(r)?
Welcome to Physics Forums.

According to our guidelines (see https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=5374"), you are expected to show an attempted solution when asking for help, or at the very least detail your thoughts. This is why we have a homework template, please use it.

Last edited by a moderator:
hmm ok.. so where the question is concerned...

1. could it be that because the model assumes that where Gauss's law is used, 2 Gaussian surfaces are separately used and calculated with total charge enclosed over the 2 surfaces still being Q, and hence the (r^2+R^2) instead of just r^2? if that makes any sense. i know that outside the original sphere, for distances r >> R, the relationship between E & r is such that E inversely proportional to r^2. could it be that due to the possibility of that the charge is not uniformly distributed also?

2. As for no 2, using gauss's law, integral of E.dA = Qin/epsilon-nought. not too sure how to get about after though. is it just rearranging every term in terms of Qin?

3. i know its related to no 2 in a way that Qin = rho x Vsphere and via differentiation and integration.

Some thoughts and help here much appreciated.

Boon28 said:
1. could it be that because the model assumes that where Gauss's law is used, 2 Gaussian surfaces are separately used and calculated with total charge enclosed over the 2 surfaces still being Q, and hence the (r^2+R^2) instead of just r^2? if that makes any sense. i know that outside the original sphere, for distances r >> R, the relationship between E & r is such that E inversely proportional to r^2. could it be that due to the possibility of that the charge is not uniformly distributed also?
You're on the right lines. In fact, you hit the nail on the head here:
Boon28 said:
know that outside the original sphere, for distances r >> R, the relationship between E & r is such that E inversely proportional to r^2.
In the limit r >> R, the expression reduces to the expression for a point charge. In other words, the electric field at a large distance from the nucleus is virtually identical to that of a point charge, as it should be. Do you follow?
Boon28 said:
2. As for no 2, using gauss's law, integral of E.dA = Qin/epsilon-nought. not too sure how to get about after though. is it just rearranging every term in terms of Qin?
Indeed, that is it. You will also need to evaluate the integral of course.
Boon28 said:
3. i know its related to no 2 in a way that Qin = rho x Vsphere and via differentiation and integration.
The differential form of Gauss' law would be helpful here.

how do you use the differential form of gauss's law.
So integral of E.da=qin/empslom
if we differentiate both sides we get E= dq/da*(1/epslom)... so we have determined dq/da, which is equal to E*epslom, but how does that allow you to determine the charge density... because wouldn't charge density equal dq/dv.

warrior_1 said:
how do you use the differential form of gauss's law.
So integral of E.da=qin/empslom
if we differentiate both sides we get E= dq/da*(1/epslom)... so we have determined dq/da, which is equal to E*epslom, but how does that allow you to determine the charge density... because wouldn't charge density equal dq/dv.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gauss's_law#Differential_form

Oh yh. So the charge density is simply equal to epslom multiplied by the electric field?? So is this the only way to approach this qs.

warrior_1 said:
Oh yh. So the charge density is simply equal to epslom multiplied by the electric field??
No, that it not Gauss' law, is it? The charge density is equation to the permittivity of free space (epsilon zero) multiplied by the divergence of the electric field.

P.S. Are you Boon28?

I don't really get how to do the 'divergence' thing.
Can u explain it in a simple way?

P.S I'm not warrior_1 :/

hmm so for no. 2:
integral of E.dA = Q/epsilon-zero

solving the integral and rearranging, I got q(r) = Qr^2/(r^2+R^2)..

for no. 3: charge density i was told i can get by finding the derivative of q(r) with respect to r.

and so i got rho(r) = dq/dr = 2QrR^2/(r^2+R^2)^2

Do those seem reasonable?

Related to Electric field of a charged nucleus (sphere) Gauss Law

1. What is Gauss's Law and how is it related to the electric field of a charged nucleus?

Gauss's Law is a fundamental law in electromagnetism that relates the electric flux through a closed surface to the charge enclosed by that surface. In the case of a charged nucleus (sphere), Gauss's Law can be used to determine the electric field at any point outside the nucleus by considering the charge enclosed within a spherical surface centered at that point.

2. Is the electric field of a charged nucleus uniform throughout space?

No, the electric field of a charged nucleus is not uniform throughout space. It follows an inverse square law, meaning that the strength of the electric field decreases with increasing distance from the nucleus.

3. How does the size of the charged nucleus affect the electric field?

The size of the charged nucleus does not affect the electric field. As long as the charge remains the same, the electric field will remain the same regardless of the size of the nucleus.

4. Can Gauss's Law be used to calculate the electric field inside a charged nucleus?

No, Gauss's Law is only applicable to closed surfaces outside of the charge distribution. Inside a charged nucleus, the electric field is not well-defined and cannot be calculated using Gauss's Law.

5. Does the direction of the electric field of a charged nucleus depend on the sign of the charge?

Yes, the direction of the electric field of a charged nucleus is determined by the sign of the charge. If the charge is positive, the electric field will point away from the nucleus. If the charge is negative, the electric field will point towards the nucleus.