Electric Field near a finite conducting stick

In summary, the conversation discusses a solved case in an EE course and the question is about how to solve a specific integral. The integral involves boundaries that are determined by the length of the rod being integrated over. The integral can be separated into vector components and can be solved using an integral table and two substitutions. The person asking the question initially struggled with the vector in the integral but was reassured by the helpful responses.
Bassalisk
So this should probably go into math's section, but I feel you guys can give me the answer too, since this comes from an EE course(Theory of electromagnetic fields)

[PLAIN]http://pokit.org/get/2f3e7eef6b38bc75f0023b94976a2997.jpg(1)
[PLAIN]http://pokit.org/get/fc8658090d67ae0fafe79970021d1518.jpg(2)
[PLAIN]http://pokit.org/get/96df286729f6eafc76fd601b22bd66c7.jpg(3)
[PLAIN]http://pokit.org/get/10ffe4ec16d38b03ef9cdafe86149e16.jpg(4)

dQ=Q'*dz'

So basically question is this:

How did he get that integral solved? This actually not homework this is a solved case, I just don't understand how did he get figures 4 out of 3. What are the boundaries of this integral? How did he solve this?

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Boundaries of the integral: Think about it, what are we integrating over? The rod right? The rod is of length L, but is centered over the mid point of the rod. Do you see that we would integrate from -L/2 to L/2?

So you got your bounds. Now separate the integral into its vector components.
The first integral(a_r component) you can solve with an integral table. Second one you can solve after two substitutions.

Winzer said:
Boundaries of the integral: Think about it, what are we integrating over? The rod right? The rod is of length L, but is centered over the mid point of the rod. Do you see that we would integrate from -L/2 to L/2?

So you got your bounds. Now separate the integral into its vector components.
The first integral(a_r component) you can solve with an integral table. Second one you can solve after two substitutions.

Yea was thinking of those, but when I saw a vector in my integral I freaked out.

Thank you. I will try this.

Related to Electric Field near a finite conducting stick

1. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a physical quantity that describes the influence that an electric charge has on other charges around it. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

2. How is the electric field near a finite conducting stick calculated?

The electric field near a finite conducting stick can be calculated using the principle of superposition. This means that the total electric field at a point is the sum of the electric fields produced by each individual charge on the stick.

3. What is the significance of a finite conducting stick in relation to electric fields?

A finite conducting stick is significant because it provides a real-life example of how electric fields behave. The electric field near a finite conducting stick can be used to understand and analyze other more complex electric field systems.

4. How does the shape and size of a finite conducting stick affect the electric field near it?

The shape and size of a finite conducting stick can greatly affect the electric field near it. A longer stick will have a larger electric field compared to a shorter stick, and a thicker stick will have a smaller electric field compared to a thinner stick. The shape of the stick can also change the direction of the electric field at different points.

5. What are some practical applications of understanding the electric field near a finite conducting stick?

Understanding the electric field near a finite conducting stick can have various practical applications such as designing electrical devices, predicting and preventing lightning strikes, and analyzing the behavior of electronic circuits. It also helps in understanding the behavior of electromagnetic waves and their interactions with conductors.