Electric field intensity for a uniformly charged wire.

In summary, to determine the electric field intensity at point P (rho, phi, 0) due to a uniformly charged wire with charge density p (rho) extending along the z-axis from z = 0 to z =+ infinity, the equation E=k[integral of [rho(r-r')/ |r-r'|^3]dl] can be used. However, the electric field intensity is a vector quantity and must be decomposed into radial and vertical components and then integrated to obtain the total field. This process can be simplified by using the code {tex} {/tex} with the appropriate math code.
phy
A uniformly charged wire with a charge density of p (rho) extends along the z-axis from z = 0 to z =+ infinity. Determine the electric field intensity at a point P (rho, phi, 0)

Ok so I wrote down the equation for electric field intensity for a uniformly charged wire ie E=k[integral of [rho(r-r')/ |r-r'|^3]dl] Oh and the integral would be from 0 to +infinty. Then I reduced the equations down to E=k*rho[integral of [dz'/(z-z' )^2]] taken from 0 to +infinty again. Now I have two questions. 1. Is what I'm doing so far right? 2. How do I do the integral again? I've been trying it for a while now and I can't seem to get a hold of my prof or my T.As so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Oh and btw, I've seen some people post but with the nice lil math fonts and everything. How do you do that? I'm sure my post would have been so much easier to read if I had done it that way.

Anwyas, thanks =)

Physics news on Phys.org
Learn about it here in 5 seconds:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=8997

You have to download the 2 first pdf files.

Basically, you write {tex} {/tex} (but replace { and } by [ and ]) and write the code in between. You can click on math code in a thread to see what its code is.

phy said:
A uniformly charged wire with a charge density of p (rho) extends along the z-axis from z = 0 to z =+ infinity. Determine the electric field intensity at a point P (rho, phi, 0)

Ok so I wrote down the equation for electric field intensity for a uniformly charged wire ie E=k[integral of [rho(r-r')/ |r-r'|^3]dl]

Do not forget that the electric field intensity is vector quantity. The direction of the electric field due to a line segment dz at z is parallel to the straight line joining that point of the wire with P. You should decompose the electric fields into radial and vertical components, and add up (integrate) by components.

ehild

Related to Electric field intensity for a uniformly charged wire.

1. What is the definition of electric field intensity for a uniformly charged wire?

The electric field intensity for a uniformly charged wire is a measure of the strength of the electric field surrounding the wire. It is defined as the force per unit charge that a test charge would experience if placed at a point in the electric field.

2. How is the electric field intensity for a uniformly charged wire calculated?

The electric field intensity for a uniformly charged wire can be calculated using the formula E = kλ/r, where E is the electric field intensity, k is the Coulomb's constant, λ is the charge per unit length of the wire, and r is the distance from the wire.

3. Is the electric field intensity for a uniformly charged wire constant?

Yes, the electric field intensity for a uniformly charged wire is constant at all points along the wire. This is because the wire has a uniform charge distribution, meaning that the charge is evenly spread along its length.

4. How does the direction of the electric field intensity for a uniformly charged wire depend on the distance from the wire?

The direction of the electric field intensity for a uniformly charged wire is always radially outward or inward, depending on the sign of the charge. As the distance from the wire increases, the strength of the electric field decreases, but the direction remains the same.

5. What factors can affect the electric field intensity for a uniformly charged wire?

The electric field intensity for a uniformly charged wire can be affected by the amount of charge on the wire, the distance from the wire, and the medium surrounding the wire. It may also be affected by the presence of other charged objects in the vicinity.