Electric field inside the bulb

In summary, the electric field inside the tungsten filament of bulb B1 can be calculated using the equation E = (V/L) where V is the voltage and L is the length of the filament. However, there are two unknowns in this equation, which can be solved by using the equations I = qnAv and v = uE. The electric field also depends on the use of the light bulb and can be estimated by using a typical voltage and power consumption of a light bulb.
luckyducky
Electric field inside the bulb!

There are 6.3e28 mobile electrons per cubic meter in tungsten. The cross-sectional area of the tungsten filament in bulb B1 is 0.01 mm2 (1 mm2 = 1e-6 m^2). The electron mobility in hot tungsten is 1.2e-4 (m/s)/(N/C). Calculate the magnitude of the electric field inside the tungsten filament in bulb

Homework Equations

E= electric field
V= voltage
L = length of the filament
E = (V/L)

V= IR v= uE

I= qnAv or I= qnAuE

q = charge of electron = -1.6e-19
A = cross sectional area
v= drift speed
u= electron mobility which is = 1.2e-4
n= 6.3e28

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried every way like used v=uE but therer are two unknowns, then in I= qnAuE there are two unknowns, what do I do.

ONE MORE THINg
When The compass is placed on top of the wire, it deflects by 20 degrees away from North towards the west. But this doesn't help again does it? Does anyone knows how to use the degrees to solve the question or some other way then please distribute your valuable knowledge please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
The electric field will obviously depend on the use of the light bulb, not just on its design. Use a typical voltage and power consumption of a light bulb to estimate the current. E.g. 230 V, 60 W or about 1/4 A in Europe, 110 V, 60 W or ~1/2 A in the US.

Related to Electric field inside the bulb

What is an electric field?

An electric field is a force field created by electrically charged particles. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

How is the electric field inside a bulb created?

The electric field inside a bulb is created by the flow of electrons through the filament, which is made of a material with high resistance. As the electrons move through the filament, they collide with atoms, creating a resistance to the flow of electricity and generating heat and light.

What factors affect the strength of the electric field inside a bulb?

The strength of the electric field inside a bulb is affected by the voltage applied, the material and shape of the filament, and the distance between the positive and negative terminals.

What is the direction of the electric field inside a bulb?

The direction of the electric field inside a bulb is from the negative terminal towards the positive terminal. This is because electrons flow from the negative terminal, through the filament, and towards the positive terminal.

How does the electric field inside a bulb affect the movement of electrons?

The electric field inside a bulb causes the electrons to move from the negative terminal to the positive terminal. As the electrons move, they collide with atoms in the filament, generating heat and light. The strength of the electric field determines the speed and direction of the electron movement.