Electric field inside dielectric cylinder

In summary, when a dielectric cylinder of radius 'a' and permittivity 'e' is placed in a uniform field Eo with the direction of field perpendicular to the axis of the cylinder, the E field (Ei) inside the cylinder is given by Ein=2Eo/(1+e). When the cylinder is tipped so that its axis makes an angle phi to Eo, a new expression for Ein can be found by decomposing the field into components perpendicular and parallel to the axis of the cylinder and applying the same analysis as before. The equations Eosin(theta1)=Eintsin(theta2) can be used, where theta1=90-phi and theta2 is the angle between the z-axis and
jmz34
A dielectric cylinder of radius 'a' and permittivity 'e' is placed in a uniform field Eo with the direction of field perpendicular to the axis of the cylinder, find the E field (Ei) inside the cylinder. I CAN DO THIS PART OF THE QUESTION FINE. It turns out that:

Ein=2Eo/(1+e)

Next, consider the situation where the cylinder is tipped so that its axis makes an angle phi to Eo, find a new expression for Ein.

I know I'm supposed to use the continuity conditions that D-perpendicular and E-parallel are continuous at the interface, but I'm confused as to how to go about doing this. I've come up with the equations Eosin(theta1)=Eintsin(theta2) where I think theta1=90-phi.

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
All you need to do is decompose the field into components that are now perpendicular and parallel to the axis of the cylinder. Once you have that, you can apply the same analysis as before on these two parts and treat them independently. So for the perpendicular part, if the axis was along z, then the perpendicular would be in the \rho direction. So that would be cos(\theta) since it should maximize when \theta was zero. Likewise, the parallel part should be zero when \theta is zero so it should be something like sin(\theta). Here, \theta is the angle between the z-axis and the axis of the cylinder.

Related to Electric field inside dielectric cylinder

1. What is the electric field inside a dielectric cylinder?

The electric field inside a dielectric cylinder is the force per unit charge exerted on a charge placed inside the cylinder. It is determined by the properties of the dielectric material and the geometry of the cylinder.

2. How is the electric field inside a dielectric cylinder different from the electric field in free space?

The electric field inside a dielectric cylinder is different from the electric field in free space because the dielectric material affects the electric field. In free space, the electric field is directly proportional to the charge, while inside a dielectric cylinder, the electric field is reduced by a factor known as the dielectric constant.

3. What factors affect the strength of the electric field inside a dielectric cylinder?

The strength of the electric field inside a dielectric cylinder is affected by the properties of the dielectric material, such as its dielectric constant and conductivity, as well as the geometry of the cylinder, such as its radius and length. The magnitude and direction of the external electric field also play a role.

4. How can the electric field inside a dielectric cylinder be calculated?

The electric field inside a dielectric cylinder can be calculated using the mathematical formula E = Q/(2πεrL), where E is the electric field, Q is the charge, ε is the permittivity of the dielectric material, r is the radius of the cylinder, and L is the length of the cylinder.

5. Is the electric field inside a dielectric cylinder uniform?

The electric field inside a dielectric cylinder is not always uniform. It depends on the geometry of the cylinder and the distribution of charge inside. In some cases, the electric field may be stronger or weaker in certain areas of the cylinder.