Electric field inside a cavity

In summary, the conversation is about finding the electric field inside a cavity created by removing a smaller sphere from a larger sphere with charge density +\rho \, C/m^3. The superposition principle is used to find the electric field by summing the fields of the larger sphere and the removed sphere, ultimately resulting in a correct solution. The teacher's method is not explicitly stated.
sloane729

Homework Statement

If I have a solid sphere of radius R and charge density [itex]+\rho \, C/m^3[/itex] and I then remove a smaller sphere of radius [itex]b[/itex] and is a distance [itex]a[/itex] from the center of the larger sphere, what is the electric field inside the cavity?
I get an answer which I think is right. I've look at the math over and over and can't quite figure out what the teacher did.

Homework Equations

Gauss' Law:
[tex] \oint \vec{E} \cdot d\vec{S} = \frac{q_{encl}}{\epsilon_0} [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I know this is a classic problem using the superposition principle.
First I apply GL to the large sphere at a distance [itex]r<R[/itex] from the center and get an electric field
[tex] \vec{E} = \frac{ \rho }{3 \epsilon_0} \vec{r} [/tex]

Then I do the same except with a charge density of [itex]-\rho \, C/m^3[/itex] so
[tex] \vec{E'} = - \frac{\rho }{3 \epsilon_0} \vec{r'} = -\frac{\rho}{3 \epsilon_0} (\vec{r} - \vec{a}) [/tex]

Now I just sum the two fields
[tex] \begin{align}
\vec{E} + \vec{E'} & = \frac{ \rho }{3 \epsilon_0} \vec{r} -\frac{\rho}{3 \epsilon_0} (\vec{r} - \vec{a}) \\ &= \frac{ \rho }{3 \epsilon_0} \vec{r} -\frac{\rho}{3 \epsilon_0} \vec{r} +\frac{\rho}{3 \epsilon_0} \vec{a} \\ &=\frac{\rho}{3 \epsilon_0} \vec{a} \end{align} [/tex]

This is my solution which is supposedly wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
sloane729 said:

Homework Statement

If I have a solid sphere of radius R and charge density [itex]+\rho \, C/m^3[/itex] and I then remove a smaller sphere of radius [itex]b[/itex] and is a distance [itex]a[/itex] from the center of the larger sphere, what is the electric field inside the cavity?
I get an answer which I think is right. I've look at the math over and over and can't quite figure out what the teacher did.

Homework Equations

Gauss' Law:
[tex] \oint \vec{E} \cdot d\vec{S} = \frac{q_{encl}}{\epsilon_0} [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I know this is a classic problem using the superposition principle.
First I apply GL to the large sphere at a distance [itex]r<R[/itex] from the center and get an electric field
[tex] \vec{E} = \frac{ \rho }{3 \epsilon_0} \vec{r} [/tex]

Then I do the same except with a charge density of [itex]-\rho \, C/m^3[/itex] so
[tex] \vec{E'} = - \frac{\rho }{3 \epsilon_0} \vec{r'} = -\frac{\rho}{3 \epsilon_0} (\vec{r} - \vec{a}) [/tex]

Now I just sum the two fields
[tex] \begin{align}
\vec{E} + \vec{E'} & = \frac{ \rho }{3 \epsilon_0} \vec{r} -\frac{\rho}{3 \epsilon_0} (\vec{r} - \vec{a}) \\ &= \frac{ \rho }{3 \epsilon_0} \vec{r} -\frac{\rho}{3 \epsilon_0} \vec{r} +\frac{\rho}{3 \epsilon_0} \vec{a} \\ &=\frac{\rho}{3 \epsilon_0} \vec{a} \end{align} [/tex]

This is my solution which is supposedly wrong.

Your solution is correct. See, for example http://jkwiens.com/2007/10/24/answe...nonconducting-sphere-with-a-spherical-cavity/
What did your teacher do?

ehild

wrong thread :P

Related to Electric field inside a cavity

1. What is an electric field inside a cavity?

An electric field inside a cavity refers to the distribution of electric charges within a hollow space, which can be either empty or filled with a material such as air or a dielectric. This electric field can be either uniform or non-uniform, depending on the shape and size of the cavity as well as the distribution of charges within it.

2. How is the electric field inside a cavity calculated?

The electric field inside a cavity can be calculated using Gauss's law, which states that the electric flux through any closed surface is equal to the net charge enclosed by that surface divided by the permittivity of the medium. Mathematically, this can be expressed as E = Q/ε, where E is the electric field, Q is the net charge, and ε is the permittivity.

3. What factors affect the electric field inside a cavity?

The electric field inside a cavity is affected by several factors, including the shape and size of the cavity, the distribution of charges within it, and the properties of the material filling the cavity. Additionally, any external electric fields or sources nearby can also influence the electric field inside the cavity.

4. How does the electric field inside a cavity differ from that outside?

The electric field inside a cavity is typically different from that outside because of the presence of boundaries and the distribution of charges within the cavity. The electric field outside a cavity is affected by all charges in the surrounding space, while the electric field inside a cavity is only influenced by the charges within the cavity itself.

5. What are some practical applications of understanding the electric field inside a cavity?

Understanding the electric field inside a cavity is important in various fields such as electrical engineering, physics, and telecommunications. It is utilized in the design of electronic components, antennas, and waveguides, as well as in the analysis of electromagnetic radiation and signal propagation. Additionally, knowledge of the electric field inside a cavity can also aid in the study of materials and their properties.