Electric field inside a cavity within a sphere

In summary, the conversation discusses the electric field inside a spherical cavity carved out of a larger sphere and the use of a gaussian surface to understand the relationship between charge and electric field. The main point is that while the electric field may be uniform inside the cavity, the use of a gaussian surface does not necessarily mean that the field is zero, as it does not account for non-spherical symmetry. This is demonstrated through an example of two parallel, infinite charged planes.
Amith2006

Homework Statement

This question has already been asked before. The electric field inside a spherical cavity carved out of a larger sphere is uniform which I have derived. What I don't really understand is that if you construct a gaussian surface inside the cavity, it wouldn't enclose any charge. So, there shouldn't any electric field which is contradictory to my previous results. I think I'm missing a subtle point but can't figure out. Thanks in advance.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
If the cavity is concentric with the larger sphere, it is uniform - zero.

If the cavity is not concentric, then the thing about the gaussian surface is the fact that you have no enclosed charge means that the NET flux is zero on the surface - not that the flux is zero everywhere. It is not constant over the surface because your problem doesn't have the spherically symmetry necessary.

Here's an intuitive example - two parallel, infinite charged planes. Obviously there's a uniform E-field perpendicular to the planes between them. Construct a gaussian spherical surface between the two planes - no enclosed charge!

That means the net flux through that gaussian sphere is zero - because the flux entering it on one side is the same as the flux exiting it on the other. That does NOT mean the E-field is zero, because again it's not spherically symmetrical so you can't assume the flux is constant over the surface.

I get it now. Thanks.

Related to Electric field inside a cavity within a sphere

1. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a physical quantity that describes the force exerted on a charged particle by other charged particles in its surroundings. It is represented by a vector and its magnitude determines the strength of the force.

2. How is the electric field inside a cavity within a sphere calculated?

The electric field inside a cavity within a sphere can be calculated using the Gauss's Law, which states that the electric flux through a closed surface is equal to the charge enclosed by that surface divided by the permittivity of free space.

3. Does the electric field inside a cavity within a sphere depend on the charge present inside the sphere?

No, the electric field inside a cavity within a sphere is independent of the charge present inside the sphere. It only depends on the charge enclosed by the surface of the cavity.

4. Is the electric field inside a cavity within a sphere uniform?

Yes, the electric field inside a cavity within a sphere is always uniform. This is because the charge enclosed by the surface of the cavity is evenly distributed on the surface, resulting in a uniform electric field throughout the cavity.

5. How does the electric field inside a cavity within a sphere change with the size of the cavity?

The electric field inside a cavity within a sphere is inversely proportional to the size of the cavity. This means that as the size of the cavity increases, the electric field inside decreases. This can be seen from the equation of Gauss's Law, where the electric field is inversely proportional to the area of the surface enclosing the charge.