Electric field in leaky capacitor model

In summary: Can you please let me know if you want to write the equations( respect to x-y directions). what would you write?2)would you include conductivity and relative permittivity together? and how to write the electric field equations(say which...x,y,z,t)?I would like to write equations in Cartesian co-ordinates.x,y,z,t: electric field (E) is just the voltage divided by the spacing (at least when you are inside the capacitor away from the edges).
Artyman
Hi everyone.
I need to calculate E-field(AC source / DC/ point charges) in leaky capacitor( epsilonr= a dielectric with relative permittivity and finite conductivity). But I do not how to calculate or write the equations for them. any idea or reference is very welcome.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Artyman said:
Hi everyone.
I need to calculate E-field(AC source / DC/ point charges) in leaky capacitor( epsilonr= a dielectric with relative permittivity and finite conductivity). But I do not how to calculate or write the equations for them. any idea or reference is very welcome.
If the capacitor is not connected to a power supply, then the leakage means that it will be almost empty.
If it is connected to a power supply, the voltage on the capacitor is equal to that of the supply.
The strength of the electric field is equal to the voltage divided by the spacing, in Volts per metre.

Likes Artyman
tech99 said:
If the capacitor is not connected to a power supply, then the leakage means that it will be almost empty.
If it is connected to a power supply, the voltage on the capacitor is equal to that of the supply.
The strength of the electric field is equal to the voltage divided by the spacing, in Volts per metre.
Thank you for your response.
The leaky capacitor is connected to the current source (AC) via two metal electrodes. But How does the conductivity and relative permitivvity play the roles in this scenario?

The relative permittivity effects the capacitance...

C = kε0A/d

Perhaps you can model the leakage as a resistor in parallel with the capacitor?

Likes Artyman and davenn
CWatters said:
The relative permittivity effects the capacitance...

C = kε0A/d

Perhaps you can model the leakage as a resistor in parallel with the capacitor?
The problem is I got confused to use the equations...to include the resistor( in parallel ) in electric field equation...
I came to the idea to use integral of the electric current ( AC , sine ) over a time duration ( like t1 to t2) which can give me the Q , this current source is connected to the leaky capacitor, then assume this Q is point charge. Then I can calculate the E-field of this point charge in the capacitor.
But the problem is:
If I assume this is a perfect dielectric (capacitor): E=Q/(4*Pi*epsilon0*epsilonr)... is not that true?
In this case how can I consider the ( conductivity) of the capacitor in this equation...I need a leaky capacitor model ..which equation and formula would work?.

Artyman said:
The leaky capacitor is connected to the current source (AC) via two metal electrodes. But How does the conductivity and relative permitivvity play the roles in this scenario?
The "leakiness" of the capacitor does not affect the electric field, unless your AC source has a moderate source impedance. That would lower the voltage across the cap, which would lower the electric field.

As mentioned previously, the E-field in a capacitor is just the voltage divided by the spacing (at least when you are inside the capacitor away from the edges). Can you say more about what you are trying to do and why?
Artyman said:
which equation and formula would work?.
Looks like you have a stuck keyboard key... :wink:

Last edited:
Likes CWatters and Artyman
berkeman said:
The "leakiness" of the capacitor does not affect the electric field, unless your AC source has a moderate source impedance. That would lower the voltage across the cap, which would lover the electric field.

As mentioned previously, the E-field in a capacitor is just the voltage divided by the spacing (at least when you are inside the capacitor away from the edges). Can you say more about what you are trying to do and why?

Looks like you have a stuck keyboard key... :wink:
I think my keyboard does have problem. Since, I cannot edit the post. Please accept my apology.
Thanks

No worries. Do my comments about the source impedance and the Electric field make sense? Can you post a diagram of what you are trying to model?

Anything like this?

http://www.physics.louisville.edu/cldavis/phys299/notes/elec_cap_fig1.jpg
elec_cap_fig1.jpg

Likes Artyman
berkeman said:
No worries. Do my comments about the source impedance and the Electric field make sense? Can you post a diagram of what you are trying to model?

Anything like this?

http://www.physics.louisville.edu/cldavis/phys299/notes/elec_cap_fig1.jpg
View attachment 208728
in this case if assume :
the leaky capacitor is a circle and on two different pints (two electrodes) .with leaky capacitor it seems to me the charges can flow through the capacitor. this makes me confused.
(I=sin(w1*t))
1)Can you please let me know if you want to write the equations( respect to x-y directions). what would you write?
2)would you include conductivity and relative permittivity together? and how to write the electric field equations(say which formula)?
thanks

Related to Electric field in leaky capacitor model

1. What is an electric field in a leaky capacitor model?

An electric field in a leaky capacitor model refers to the force field created by the separation of positive and negative charges within the capacitor. This field is responsible for the flow of electric current and can be affected by the presence of a dielectric material or leakage of charges.

2. How does a leaky capacitor model differ from a regular capacitor model?

A leaky capacitor model is similar to a regular capacitor model in that it consists of two conductive plates separated by a dielectric material. However, in a leaky capacitor model, the dielectric material is not perfect and allows for some leakage of charges, which can affect the overall electric field and capacitance of the system.

3. What factors can affect the electric field in a leaky capacitor model?

The electric field in a leaky capacitor model can be affected by various factors, including the distance between the plates, the dielectric constant of the material, the voltage applied, and the leakage rate of charges. Changes in any of these factors can alter the strength and distribution of the electric field.

4. How does a leaky capacitor model behave in an AC circuit?

In an AC circuit, a leaky capacitor model behaves similarly to a regular capacitor model. However, the presence of leakage can cause a phase shift between the voltage and current, leading to a decrease in the overall power factor of the circuit.

5. Can a leaky capacitor model be used in practical applications?

Yes, a leaky capacitor model can be used in various practical applications where a capacitor is needed. However, the leakage rate of charges must be carefully considered and accounted for in the design to ensure the desired performance of the circuit or system.