Electric field in electrostatic situation

In summary, the question asks for the distance between two positive charges, q1 and q2, where the total electric field is zero. The equation used is E = kq/r^2, where k = 1/(4pi*epsilon-nought). By setting the magnitudes of the fields due to q1 and q2 equal at point P, a quadratic equation for x is obtained. By eliminating one of the solutions and using the condition that x must be between the two charges, the correct solution is found to be s(q1 - root[q1q2]) / (q1 - q2) where q1 > q2.
Blehs

Homework Statement

Two particles with positive charges q1 and q2 are separated by a distance s. Along the line connecting the two charges, at what distance from the charge q1 is the total electric field from the two charges zero?

Homework Equations

E = kq/r2

where k = 1/(4 x pi x epsilon-nought)

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok so basically the picture is something like this

q1-------P--------q2

|<---distance s-->|

Where I've placed the point P randomly in between charges q1 and q2. I've called the distance between q1 and p "x", and the distance between q2 and p "s-x"

So I've basically substituted q1 and x into the equation. Then i substituted q2 and (s-x) into the equation. Then i equated E1 and E2 to obtain a quadratic equation.

x2(q1-q2) - x2q1s + q1s2 = 0

Ive gone ahead and solved this for x using the quadratic formula. Since there were two answers cause of the plus minus, i just eliminated the minus part of it to get

x = [2q1s + root(4q1q2s2)] / 2(q1 - q2)

I canceled out the 2's on the top and the bottom. However when i input my answer its not correct. Maybe i made a mistake somewhere? I don't know i can't seem to find one for now.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think yours is an algebraic problem:

why did you eliminated the solution with the minus?
Which are the physical conditions on x?

The entire question is posted above.

I forgot to add this in before, but i opened up a hint on "solving the quadratic and choosing the correct answer"

"If you set the magnitudes of the fields due to q1 and q2 equal at point P, you should end up with a quadratic equation for x. This equation will have two solutions, but since you know that the zero-field point must be between the two charges, you should be able to eliminate one of the results. Also if you assume that q1 is not equal to q2 then you can use the relation

a - b = (root[a] + root)(root[a] - root)

to simplify your answer."

Hope that helps a bit more

Yes,but how do you eliminate the extra solution? (I wanted you to answer this :D)

To choose the right x,you have to pose the condition you posted, that is the x must be between the two charges [itex]\Rightarrow 0\leq x\leq s[/itex]

So, you must solve this inequality
[itex] 0\leq \frac{q_1\cdot s \pm s\sqrt{q_1\cdot q_2}}{q_1-q_2}\leq s[/itex]

First you put [itex]q_1>q_2[/itex] and solve, and then you put [itex]q_1<q_2[/itex] and solve.

Hope it helps...

Ok so when you say solve the inequality, I am guessing you mean try the conditions where q1>q2 and q1<q2 and see if the value still lies within zero and "s".

So first i started off with the - solution which is

s(q1 - root[q1q2]) / (q1 - q2)

For the q1 > q2 condition i found using logic that the value remained within zero and "s"

For the q1 < q2 condition i found that the value was actually larger than "s" so it didnt satisfy the requirement.

Then i did the same thing for the + solution

s(q1 + root[q1q2]) / (q1 - q2)

For the q1 > q2 condition i found that the value was larger than "s"

For the q1 < q2 condition i found that the value was a negative number

So according to all this, it means that the only solution that works is when q1 > q2 for the solution using the negative sign

s(q1 - root[q1q2]) / (q1 - q2)

Is this what you wanted me to do? Did i get it right? =P

AHA YES I GOT IT RIGHT WOOOOOOOOT

Thnx heaps DiracRules

Related to Electric field in electrostatic situation

What is an electric field?

An electric field is a region of space surrounding an electrically charged particle or object, where other charged particles experience a force.

How is an electric field created?

An electric field is created when a charged particle or object exerts a force on other charged particles in its surrounding space. This can be done through the presence of static charges or by using a source of electrical energy, such as a battery.

What is the direction of an electric field?

The direction of an electric field is always defined as the direction that a positive test charge would move in the presence of the field. This means that the field lines point away from a positive charge and towards a negative charge.

How is the strength of an electric field measured?

The strength of an electric field is measured by the force experienced by a test charge placed in the field. This is known as Coulomb's Law, which states that the force between two charges is directly proportional to the magnitude of the charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

What is the difference between an electric field and an electric potential?

An electric field is a vector quantity that represents the force exerted on a charged particle, while electric potential is a scalar quantity that represents the potential energy per unit charge at a given point in space. In other words, the electric field tells us the direction and strength of the force, while the electric potential tells us the amount of potential energy a charged particle would have at that point in the field.