Electric field in an arbitrary number of dimensions

In summary, the electric field in ##1+1## dimensional spacetime can be found using Gauss's law. The magnetic field in ##1+1## dimensions can be found using Faraday's law.
spaghetti3451
I am looking to use Gauss's law to find the electric field in ##1+1## dimensional spacetime:

##\int \vec{E}\cdot d\vec{A}=\frac{Q}{\epsilon_{0}}##

Now, for a point charge in ##1+1## dimensional spacetime, the Gaussian surface is the two endpoints (a distance ##r## away from the point charge) along which the electric field points outwards. How do I account for ##d\vec{A}## of the two endpoints?

Physics news on Phys.org
The integral gets a sum over the two endpoints.

I know that, but I am finding it difficult to form a quantitative value for the infinitesimal area of the two points.

Just add the two electric field strengths? Your field will have different dimensions anyway, so it fits.

I don't exactly understand what you mean when you say that the field will have different dimensions.

Sorry, I didn't mean the field itself, I meant the equation. To work, ##\epsilon_0## needs different units, which means the whole equation has different units.

Thanks!

The more interesting question is the magnetic field in an arbitrary number of dimensions...

Well, ##\nabla\cdot{\vec{B}}=0## generalises to ##\partial_{\mu}B^{\mu}=0##, I suppose, which means that ##B## has inverse dimensions of the length in any spacetime.

Am I right?

It's generated by a changing electric field, which comes from Faraday's Law.

##\epsilon_{ijk}\partial_{i}E_{i}=-\partial_{t}B_{i}## is Faraday's law in 3 dimensions.

I guess the epsilon symbol ought to have more (or less) spatial indices as the number of spatial dimensions increases (or decreases)?

There is no obvious generalization of this law to N dimensions.

Is this why the magnetic field cannot be generalised to more than 3 dimensions?

Crudely...

The electric field is "time-space part" of the [antisymmetric] field tensor, orthogonal to the observer's 4-velocity. In (n+1)-spacetime, it has n independent components. In 4+1, Ex, Ey, Ez, Ew.

The magnetic field is the remaining part... also orthogonal to the observer's 4-velocity. In (n+1)-spacetime, it has n(n-1)/2 independent components... Counting the number of strictly lower triangular space-space components. In 4+1, Bxy, Byz, Bzx, Bxw, Byw, Bzw (up to signs). The epsilon symbol or its equivalent will appear.

For n=3, the electric and magnetic field each have 3 components.

Related to Electric field in an arbitrary number of dimensions

1. What is an electric field in an arbitrary number of dimensions?

An electric field in an arbitrary number of dimensions is a vector field that describes the influence of an electric charge on other charges or on particles with electric dipole moments. It is typically represented by arrows which show the direction and relative strength of the electric field at different points in space.

2. How is the electric field in an arbitrary number of dimensions calculated?

The electric field in an arbitrary number of dimensions can be calculated using the Coulomb's law, which states that the electric field at a certain point is directly proportional to the charge creating the field and inversely proportional to the distance from the charge. The formula for the electric field in an arbitrary number of dimensions is given by E = kQ/rn-1, where k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the charge, r is the distance, and n is the number of dimensions.

3. What are the units of the electric field in an arbitrary number of dimensions?

The units of the electric field in an arbitrary number of dimensions depend on the units used for charge and distance. In the SI system, the units of electric field are newtons per coulomb (N/C), while in the CGS system, the units are dynes per statcoulomb (dyn/statC).

4. How does the electric field in an arbitrary number of dimensions affect charged particles?

The electric field in an arbitrary number of dimensions exerts a force on charged particles, causing them to accelerate in the direction of the field if the charge is positive, or in the opposite direction if the charge is negative. The magnitude and direction of the force can be determined using the formula F = qE, where q is the charge and E is the electric field.

5. Can the electric field in an arbitrary number of dimensions be manipulated?

Yes, the electric field in an arbitrary number of dimensions can be manipulated by changing the charge distribution or by introducing other electrically charged objects in the vicinity. It can also be manipulated by changing the distance between the charges or by changing the shape and orientation of the charged objects.