Electric Field in a Hemisphere

In summary, the electric field at the center of curvature of a nonconducting hemispherical cup with a total charge Q spread uniformly over its inner surface is k \frac{Q}{2 R^{2}}. The book's answer of k \frac{Q}{3 R^{2}} may be incorrect, as it does not account for the additional surface area if the cup is closed.
Jshumate

Homework Statement

A nonconducting hemispherical cup of inner Radius R has a total charge Q spread uniformly over its inner surface. Find the electric field at the center of curvature.

Homework Equations

[itex]\sigma[/itex] = [itex]\frac{Q}{2piR^{2}}[/itex]

dq = [itex]\sigma[/itex] dA = [itex]\sigma[/itex] R[itex]^{2}[/itex]Sin[itex]\theta[/itex]d[itex]\theta[/itex]d[itex]\phi[/itex]
k = [itex]\frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_{}0}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

dE = [itex]\frac{kdq}{R^{2}}[/itex]
dE = [itex]\frac{k \sigma R^{2} Sin\theta d\theta d\phi}{R^{2}}[/itex] = [itex]k \sigma Sin \theta d \theta d \phi[/itex]

E = [itex]k \sigma \int^{2 \pi}_{0} \int^{\frac{\pi}{2}}_{0} Sin \theta d \theta d \phi[/itex]
E = k [itex]\sigma 2 \pi [/itex] = k [itex]\frac{Q}{R^{2}}[/itex]

But for some reason, the answer is listed as k [itex]\frac{Q}{3R^{2}}[/itex]. I have no idea why my answer is factor of 3 larger. Any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Do not forget that the electric field is a vector quantity, so is dE. You can add the contributions as vectors: Determine the x, y and z components of dE and integrate.

ehild

Alright, so the x and y components of the field will cancel by symmetry correct? Therefore, only the z-component dEz = dECos[itex]\theta[/itex] will remain.

Ez = [itex]k \sigma \int^{2 \pi}_{0} \int^{\frac{\pi}{2}}_{0} Sin \theta Cos \theta d \theta d \phi[/itex]
Ez = [itex]k \sigma \int^{2 \pi}_{0} \frac{1}{2} [Sin^{2} \theta]^{\frac{\pi}{2}}_{0} d \phi[/itex]
Ez = [itex]k \sigma \int^{2 \pi}_{0} \frac{1}{2} d \phi[/itex]
Ez = [itex]k \sigma \pi[/itex] = k [itex]\frac{Q}{2 R^{2}}[/itex]

This still seems to be off from the correct answer unless I did this wrong.

It looks correct to me. I don't know why the answer is listed differently...

So the correct answer is k [itex]\frac{Q}{2 R^{2}}[/itex] ?

Yes, that's what I get the answer to be.

My definition of the center of curvature is correct right? It would be the center of the bottom of the hemisphere? If so, I guess the book's answer is wrong.

Yes, I would have thought the centre of curvature was the centre of the bottom of the hemisphere. (since this point is equidistant from any point on the curve).

It seems to me that the book is wrong. This does happen sometimes. (Rarely, though).

If the cup is closed (with a cover), it adds /pi r^2 to the surface and the book's answer is correct.

Related to Electric Field in a Hemisphere

1. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a physical phenomenon that is created by the presence of electric charges. It is a region of space around a charged object where other charged particles experience a force.

2. How is the electric field in a hemisphere calculated?

The electric field in a hemisphere can be calculated using the equation E = kQ/r^2, where E is the electric field, k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the charge of the hemisphere, and r is the distance from the center of the hemisphere to the point where the electric field is being measured.

3. What factors affect the electric field in a hemisphere?

The electric field in a hemisphere is affected by the charge of the hemisphere, the distance from the center of the hemisphere, and the presence of other electric charges in the surrounding space.

4. What is the direction of the electric field in a hemisphere?

The direction of the electric field in a hemisphere is always radially outward from the center of the hemisphere. This means that if a positive charge is placed at any point within the hemisphere, it will experience a force in the direction of the electric field.

5. How is the electric field in a hemisphere represented graphically?

The electric field in a hemisphere is represented graphically using field lines, which are imaginary lines that show the direction and strength of the electric field at different points. In a hemisphere, the field lines will originate from the center and spread outwards in all directions.