Electric field given a time-dependent magnetic field

In summary, the electric field in a region surrounded by a magnetic field will be unique, but will be approximated by a field that is linear in the region.
Privatecroat
I suppose that my main question is how to find the induced electric field given a time-dependent magnetic field, but i will demonstrate my question with an example:

I constructed a simple magnetic field B = b*tz , permeating the whole space. The induced electric field will lie in the xy plane (assuming there are no static charges present).
Now, from what I understood Helmholtz theorem says that, given divergence (0 in this case) and rotation of a vector field (-b for the electric field in this case) that field is uniquely determined.

Then I constructed such a field (E = ½b*yx - ½b*xy). However, then I noticed that any field of shape
E = ½b(y+A)x - ½b(x+B)y will also satisfy the conditions (I.E. the centre of the circular field lines will be shifted). Furthemore, why would any point on the xy plane be privileged as the centre of the field lines circulating around it?

Now , I could say that the whole space is infact in an infinitely big solenoid, whose axis coincides with the z-axis, and then the electric field lines should circulate around the origin of the xy plane (and all planes parallel to it). In that case, why does my math not check out?

Maybe I am missing something obvious, but in any case any help would be appreciated.

EDIT: bolded x,y,z are direction vectors only.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Privatecroat said:
I constructed a simple magnetic field B = b*tz , ... Helmholtz theorem
How fast does the field need to fall off to satisfy the Helmholtz theorem?

Likes Privatecroat
Ouch, so I seem to have missed the fact that I need some boundary conditions, which would indeed "center" my solution onto the z-axis. It seems like I just took a look at the differential equations and thought to myself "Oh golly, I will just use that fancy thing I read about in my textbook." Alas, no free lunches indeed.

EDIT: Seems I used the theorem on a field that did not satisfy the conditions. I will need to read further into the theorem and its implications, but thanks for pointing out the error of my ways.

Last edited:
No problem!

By the way, it isn't wrong to use that equation as an approximation for some region wherethe field is approximately linear as described. But because you are looking at that small section one of the consequences is that the E field is not unique. You then would need to look further away, to your boundary or symmetry conditions to fully solve for the E field.

Related to Electric field given a time-dependent magnetic field

1. How does a time-dependent magnetic field affect the electric field?

As a time-dependent magnetic field changes over time, it induces a changing electric field in the surrounding space. This is known as Faraday's law of electromagnetic induction. The direction and strength of the electric field depend on the rate of change of the magnetic field.

2. What is the relationship between the direction of the magnetic field and the direction of the induced electric field?

According to Lenz's law, the direction of the induced electric field is always opposite to the direction of the changing magnetic field. This means that if the magnetic field is increasing, the induced electric field will be in the opposite direction, and vice versa.

3. How do you calculate the strength of the electric field given a time-dependent magnetic field?

The strength of the induced electric field can be calculated using the equation E = -N dΦ/dt, where E is the electric field, N is the number of turns in the coil, and dΦ/dt is the rate of change of the magnetic flux through the coil. This equation is derived from Faraday's law of electromagnetic induction.

4. Can a constant magnetic field also induce an electric field?

No, a constant magnetic field cannot induce an electric field. According to Faraday's law, an electric field is induced only when there is a change in the magnetic field over time. A constant magnetic field does not change, so it does not induce an electric field.

5. How does the frequency of the time-dependent magnetic field affect the strength of the induced electric field?

The strength of the induced electric field is directly proportional to the frequency of the time-dependent magnetic field. This means that a higher frequency magnetic field will induce a stronger electric field, and a lower frequency magnetic field will induce a weaker electric field.