In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with calculating the electric field from a spherical charge distribution using two different methods. The first method involves integrating over the volume and using a formula for electric field, while the second method involves integrating over the volume and then using the gradient of the electric potential. Both attempts did not yield the correct answer and the conversation ends with the suggestion to use Gauss Law to solve the problem more effectively.
JamMaster
Hello. I have a problem calculating the electric field from spherical charge distribution. The exercise is:
1. Homework Statement

aEBkS.png

Homework Equations

To solve the problem for $$ 0\le R < a$$ i tried 2 ways:
$$
\vec{E} = \frac{\vec{a_R}}{4\pi\epsilon_0}\int_v\frac{1}
{R^2}\rho dv
$$
and the second way
$$
V = \frac{1}{4\pi\epsilon_0}\int_v\frac{1}{R}\rho dv
$$
and
$$
\vec{E} = -\vec{\nabla}V
$$

3. The Attempt at a Solution

Unfortunately, neither of the attempts worked.

Using first method, substituting the charge density from the text and using spherical coordinates to calculate the integral i got
$$
\vec{E} = \frac{Q\vec{a_R}}{4\pi\epsilon_0a^4}\int_v\frac{1}
{R}R^2\sin{\theta}dRd\theta d\phi = \frac{QR^2}{2\pi\epsilon_0a^4}\vec{a_R}
$$
Which is wrong. The correct answer is very close though, where there is a 4 instead of 2 in the answer above. No matter how much i looked i couldn't find where i missed the constant.

Using the second method, i got
$$
V = \frac{Q}{4\pi^2\epsilon_0a^4}\int_vR^2\sin{\theta}dRd\theta d\phi = \frac{QR^3}{3\pi\epsilon_0a^4}
$$
Which gives the electric field
$$
\vec{E} = -\vec{a_R} \frac{\partial{V}}{\partial{R}} = -\frac{QR^2}{\pi\epsilon_0a^4}\vec{a_R}
$$
The above answer is even more wrong than the previous one.
I would really appreciate if someone could tell me what i have done wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello JamMaster, :welcome:

Could you explain where your expression $$
\vec{E} = \frac{\vec{a_R}}{4\pi\epsilon_0}\int_v\frac{1}
{R^2}\rho dv$$comes from ? (I know it, and I can guess where you are derailing, so I ask you to show your steps in a bit more detail)

I take it ##\vec {a_R}## is a unit vector in the r-direction ? (don't forget to list it in part 1)

Hey and thank you for the answer.

Apparently i can't edit post so i can't update the first one.

Yes, $$\vec{a_R}$$ is a unit vector in R-direction, and R is the length of the same vector. The equation you named is simple a formula for calculating the electric field from a charge distribution. The formula comes from Coulombs law.

Yes, I know. As I said. But something's wrong. Could you please show your steps in a bit more detail.
Point being that the ##R## in the denominator is not the ##R## in ##dv##.
And that this is not a way to integrate a vector ##\vec {dE}##.
Make a little drawing and you'll see.

Anyway, if you are presented with an exercise like this, you are supposed to have mastered Coulomb already and know some much more effective tool to deal with this kind of problem.

--

Last edited:
Likes JamMaster
I see my mistake. Thank you a lot. I know this problem can be easily solved using Gauss Law, i just wanted to do it with all 3 methods.

This one is screaming "Gauss" all over.

Related to Electric field from spherical charge distribution

1. What is an electric field from a spherical charge distribution?

An electric field from a spherical charge distribution is a vector field that represents the force exerted on a charged particle by other charges in the distribution. It is created by a charged object, such as a point charge or a spherical shell, and can be either positive or negative depending on the sign of the charge.

2. How is the electric field from a spherical charge distribution calculated?

The electric field from a spherical charge distribution can be calculated using Coulomb's law, which states that the magnitude of the electric field at a point is equal to the product of the charge and the inverse square of the distance between the point and the charge. For a spherical charge distribution, the electric field can also be calculated using Gauss's law, which relates the electric field to the total charge enclosed by a Gaussian surface.

3. What is the relationship between the electric field and the charge distribution of a sphere?

The electric field from a spherical charge distribution is directly proportional to the charge and the inverse square of the distance from the center of the sphere. This means that as the charge or the distance increases, the electric field also increases.

4. How does the electric field from a spherical charge distribution vary with distance?

The electric field from a spherical charge distribution follows an inverse square law, meaning that the field strength decreases as the distance from the source increases. This relationship is described by the equation E = kQ/r^2, where E is the electric field, k is the Coulomb constant, Q is the charge, and r is the distance.

5. What is the difference between a point charge and a spherical charge distribution?

A point charge is a single charge located at a specific point, while a spherical charge distribution is a collection of charges distributed over the surface of a sphere. The electric field from a point charge is spherically symmetric, while the electric field from a spherical charge distribution can vary depending on the distribution of charges on the sphere.