Electric Field, Excess Charge Conceptual Question

In summary, a balloon with excess charge is placed in a space with a uniform electric field pointing towards the +x direction. Despite the absence of wind, the balloon moves towards the -x direction. The sign of excess charge on the balloon cannot be determined with the given information. This is because the movement of the balloon could be due to the effects of both the electric field and the natural attraction of opposite charges. Without knowing the exact direction of the electric field, it is impossible to determine the sign of the excess charge on the balloon. It is important to note that electric field lines originate from positive charges and move towards negative charges.
PeachBanana

Homework Statement

1. A balloon is charged with excess charge. This balloon is then put in a space with a
uniform electric field pointing towards +x direction. When there is no wind around,
this balloon is observed moving towards the -x
direction. What is the sign of excess
charge on the balloon?

(A ) Positive.
(B ) Negative.
(C ) Not enough information.
(D) Neutral.

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought the answer was "A" but that is incorrect. I thought so only because of the second to last sentence. I thought of the whole "opposite charges attract." I also don't understand the significance of saying which direction the electric field is in, only that it points from positive to negative.

Physics news on Phys.org
It is assumed that the electric field is originated from positive charge and radiates away from that. If a positive charge is placed in the electric field, it moves in the direction of the elelctric field due to the repulsion. If the negative charge is placed in the elelctric field what happens?

If a negative charge is placed instead it would move in the opposite direction of the electric field. Electric field lines, however, originate from positive charges to negative charges. I think I was mixing those two concepts.

Related to Electric Field, Excess Charge Conceptual Question

1. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a physical quantity that represents the force exerted on a charged particle by other charged particles in its vicinity. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

2. How is an electric field created?

An electric field is created by the presence of charged particles, such as electrons and protons. These particles exert a force on each other and create a field of force around them.

3. What is the difference between an electric field and an electric potential?

An electric field is a vector quantity that represents the force on a charged particle, while an electric potential is a scalar quantity that represents the potential energy per unit charge at a given point in space. In simpler terms, the electric field tells you the direction and strength of the force, while the electric potential tells you the amount of potential energy a charged particle would have at that point.

4. What is the concept of excess charge?

Excess charge refers to the difference between the number of positive and negative charges in a system. When there is an imbalance of charges, there is an excess of one type of charge, either positive or negative, in the system.

5. How does excess charge affect the electric field?

Excess charge affects the electric field by creating a disturbance in the balance of electric charges. This disturbance leads to the creation of an electric field that exerts a force on other charged particles in the vicinity, either attracting or repelling them depending on their charge. The strength of the electric field is directly proportional to the amount of excess charge present.