Electric Field Energy Density: Plates of Q & A

In summary, the conversation discusses a homework problem involving two non-conducting plates with equal but opposite charges and a given surface area. The question asks for the energy density of the electric field between the plates. The conversation includes attempts at solving the problem and a discussion on the accuracy of the given answer. The final formula is derived and the person asks for confirmation from their teacher.
justin15501

Homework Statement

Two large non-conducting plates of surface area A=.025m^2 carry equal but opposite charges Q = 75microC. What is the energy density of the electric field between the two plates.

Homework Equations

I wrote the equations on my attempt. This was a multiple choice problem and the correct answer he gave us was 1.7*10^7 but he's been wrong before.

The Attempt at a Solution

316fbdf3df98834d648106f0d95a8bd5.png

Any help is appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Charles Link said:
Try again. A=.025 The rest looks correct.
The new answer I get is 508475 instead of 5085. I feel like I may be using a wrong equation or something? My teacher didn't really lecture on energy density at all so I'm a bit uncertain.

justin15501 said:
The new answer I get is 508475 instead of 5085. I feel like I may be using a wrong equation or something? My teacher didn't really lecture on energy density at all so I'm a bit uncertain.
I think you got the rest correct. I think your teacher's answer of 1.7E+7 may be incorrect.

Last edited:
Charles Link said:
I think you got the rest correct. I think your teacher's answer of 1.7E+7 may be incorrect.
My answer isn't even one of the multiple choices?

What is the distance between plates?

Energy density is
ω = W / V = E / (Ad)
where W - energy, V - volume, d - distance between the plates.

Capacity of the system (actually, we consider a capacitor)
C = ε0A/d

Energy
W = Q2/2С

Hope, it is enough to find the solution.

Irene Kaminkowa said:
What is the distance between plates?
Irene Kaminkowa said:
Energy density is
ω = W / V = E / (Ad)
where W - energy, V - volume, d - distance between the plates.

Capacity of the system (actually, we consider a capacitor)
C = ε0A/d

Energy
W = Q2/2С

Hope, it is enough to find the solution.
The problem doesn't say the distance between the plates.

justin15501 said:
The problem doesn't say the distance between the plates.
But have it in your mind.
Derive the final formula.

@justin15501 Please let us know if your teacher agrees with your answer. I do think you computed it correctly.

My answer is
5.085⋅105 J/m3?

Regards to your teacher )

Likes Charles Link
Charles Link said:
@justin15501 Please let us know if your teacher agrees with your answer. I do think you computed it correctly.
Irene Kaminkowa said:
My answer is
5.085⋅105 J/m3?

Regards to your teacher )
Well the way it works is my professor goes over this packet of problems (including this one) the day before the exam and leaves us to figure out the questions we got wrong on our own. And there's 165 questions in this packet. It's not a very ideal situation. If I get something wrong, it's not like I can go to him for help. I'm left to rely on the kind folks of this forum to help me however they can!

Related to Electric Field Energy Density: Plates of Q & A

1. What is electric field energy density?

Electric field energy density is the amount of energy stored per unit volume in an electric field. It is a measure of how concentrated the electric field is in a particular region.

2. How is electric field energy density calculated?

The electric field energy density can be calculated using the equation U = 1/2 * ε * E^2, where U is the energy density, ε is the permittivity of the material, and E is the magnitude of the electric field.

3. What is the relationship between electric field energy density and electric potential energy?

Electric potential energy is the potential for a charged particle to do work in an electric field. It is directly related to the electric field energy density, as the higher the energy density, the more potential energy a charged particle has in that region.

4. How does the distance between plates affect the electric field energy density?

The electric field energy density between two plates is directly proportional to the distance between the plates. As the distance increases, the energy density decreases, and vice versa.

5. What is the significance of electric field energy density in practical applications?

Electric field energy density is an important concept in practical applications such as designing capacitors and understanding the behavior of charged particles in electric fields. It also plays a crucial role in the study of electromagnetic waves and their propagation through space.