Electric field due to point charges and a ring of charge:

In summary, a ring of charge with radius 0.5 m and a point charge with coordinates (19.0 m, -14.6 m, -2.6 m) and charge +40 C are given. The net electric field along the z-axis at z = 7.3 m is to be found. The equations for the electric field due to a ring and a point charge are provided. The calculation for the electric field due to the ring resulted in 6699.28362778 N/C. However, the calculation for the point charge initially resulted in 867.7979 N/C, but after correcting the distance vector, the correct value was obtained.
arl146

Homework Statement

A ring of charge with radius R = 0.5 m is centered on the origin in the x-y plane. A positive point charge is located at the following coordinates:
x = 19.0 m
y = -14.6 m
z = -2.6 m

The point charge and the total charge on the ring are the same, Q = +40 C.
Find the net electric field along the z-axis at z = 7.3 m.
E net,x = ?
E net,y = ?
E net z = ?

Homework Equations

Due to ring: E(z)=(kqz)/(z^2+R^2)^(3/2)
Due to a point charge: E= kq/r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the electric field due to the ring pretty easily I just plugged everything into the equation I have above and for that I got 6699.284 N/C, is that right? I thought for the point charge I just plug and chug as well but I got it wrong and I don't know why. I have no idea how else to do it. Help please!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
With charges as large as 40C involved, I doubt that the field strength will be as modest as you've indicated for the ring; I suspect that a few orders of magnitude have gone astray somewhere.

You should be able to "plug and chug" as you you say. Perhaps you could share your calculation.

Due to the ring I did:
E(z)= kqz/(z^2+R^2)^(3/2) = (8.988x10^9)*(40x10^(-6))*(7.3)/((7.3^2+0.5^2)^(3/2)) =6699.28362778 N/C.
That's wrong? And for the second part I tried everything, from just plugging in the numbers to using the x and y components of each point. I don't know what else to do.

arl146 said:
Due to the ring I did:
E(z)= kqz/(z^2+R^2)^(3/2) = (8.988x10^9)*(40x10^(-6))*(7.3)/((7.3^2+0.5^2)^(3/2)) =6699.28362778 N/C.
That's wrong? And for the second part I tried everything, from just plugging in the numbers to using the x and y components of each point. I don't know what else to do.

So the charge is 40 micro coulombs, not 40 coulombs as you have in the problem statement?

Show your numbers for the point charge calculation. What's the distance vector from the point charge to the location of interest?

Yes, it is actually micro coulombs. Sorry! I called that distance r (little r, not the radius big R) and I did sqrt((19^2)+(7.3^2)) for the E net,.

And for the point charge:
E,x = kq/r^2 = (8.988x10^9)*(40x10^(-6))/(414.29) = 867.7979 N/C

Last edited:
Your r doesn't look right. Once again, what is the vector from the point charge to the test point?

Oh ! I actually got it ! Thanks for you time :) I figured it out.

Related to Electric field due to point charges and a ring of charge:

What is an electric field?

An electric field is a force field that surrounds electrically charged particles and is responsible for the forces experienced by other charged particles in its vicinity.

How is the electric field due to point charges calculated?

The electric field due to a point charge is calculated by dividing the electric force exerted by the charge on a test charge, by the magnitude of the test charge.

What is the formula for the electric field due to a point charge?

The formula for the electric field due to a point charge is E = kq/r^2, where E is the electric field, k is the Coulomb's constant, q is the magnitude of the point charge, and r is the distance between the point charge and the location where the electric field is being measured.

How does the electric field due to a point charge vary with distance?

The electric field due to a point charge follows an inverse square law, meaning that as the distance from the point charge increases, the electric field strength decreases.

What is the electric field due to a ring of charge?

The electric field due to a ring of charge is calculated by dividing the electric force exerted by the ring on a test charge, by the magnitude of the test charge. It is also dependent on the radius of the ring, the charge density (charge per unit length) of the ring, and the distance from the ring to the location where the electric field is being measured.