Electric field due to point charge

In summary, two particles with fixed positions on an x axis, one with a negative charge and one with a positive charge, have an equal but opposite electric field. At the midway point between the particles, the net electric field is 0.
th3plan

Homework Statement

Two particles are fixed to an x axis: particle 1 charge -2.00x10^-7 at x=6.0cm and particle 2 at 2.00x10^-7 C at x=21.0cm. Midway between the particles, what is there net electric field?

Homework Equations

E=kq/r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok so I drew the picture out, and i know q1 is negative so the electrive field is going towards it to the left, and q2 is + so that means the field is going to the left toward q1, so that means Enet= -E1-E2 , and its negative because there both going to the left? Am i correct on this ? I know the rest of problem is just plugging in numbers, but whant to make sure I am correct on theory. Also let's say that q1 was postive does that mean q1 would go to the left, and q2 field would go to the right, resulting in a zero net force ?

Physics news on Phys.org
th3plan said:

Homework Statement

Two particles are fixed to an x axis: particle 1 charge -2.00x10^-7 at x=6.0cm and particle 2 at 2.00x10^-7 C at x=21.0cm. Midway between the particles, what is there net electric field?

Homework Equations

E=kq/r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok so I drew the picture out, and i know q1 is negative so the electrive field is going towards it to the left, and q2 is + so that means the field is going to the left toward q1, so that means Enet= -E1-E2 , and its negative because there both going to the left? Am i correct on this ? I know the rest of problem is just plugging in numbers, but whant to make sure I am correct on theory. Also let's say that q1 was postive does that mean q1 would go to the left, and q2 field would go to the right, resulting in a zero net force ?

I'd say you have grasped the concepts. The E field of 0 in your follow up is however only at the mid point which I'm sure you already understand.

Yes, you are correct in your understanding of the theory. The electric field due to a point charge is always directed away from positive charges and towards negative charges. In this case, since both charges are of opposite signs, the electric fields will point in opposite directions and the net electric field at the midpoint will be the sum of the two individual electric fields, with the negative sign indicating the direction.

If q1 was positive, then the direction of the electric field would be reversed, with the field pointing away from q1 and towards q2. In this case, the net electric field at the midpoint would be zero, since the two fields would cancel each other out.

Related to Electric field due to point charge

What is an electric field due to a point charge?

The electric field due to a point charge is a measure of the force experienced by a charged particle at a particular point in space. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction, and is created by the presence of a charged particle at a specific location.

How is the electric field strength calculated?

The electric field strength at a point in space is calculated by dividing the force experienced by a test charge at that point by the magnitude of the test charge. This can be expressed as E = F/q, where E is the electric field strength, F is the force on the test charge, and q is the magnitude of the test charge.

What is the direction of the electric field due to a positive point charge?

The electric field due to a positive point charge is directed away from the charge, in the direction that a positive test charge would experience a repulsive force. This is because positive charges repel each other, so the electric field lines point away from the source charge.

How does the electric field due to a point charge vary with distance?

The electric field due to a point charge is inversely proportional to the square of the distance from the charge. This means that as the distance from the charge increases, the electric field strength decreases rapidly. The formula for this relationship is E = kq/r^2, where k is a constant, q is the charge, and r is the distance from the charge.

What is the difference between electric field and electric potential due to a point charge?

The electric field due to a point charge is a measure of the force experienced by a test charge at a particular point, while the electric potential due to a point charge is a measure of the work required to move a test charge from infinity to a particular point. The electric potential is related to the electric field by the equation V = kq/r, where V is the electric potential, k is a constant, q is the charge, and r is the distance from the charge.