Electric Field caused by two charges problem

In summary, the problem involves two identical point charges, q1 = +2.5 x 10-6 C and q2 = +2.5 x 10-6 C, placed at a distance of 0.05 m and 0.12 m from point P, respectively, with an angle of 90 degrees at P. The task is to calculate the magnitude of the Electric field E at point P using the equation E = k x Q / r^2, along with some trigonometry and vector addition.
pstir2

Homework Statement

Two identical point charges, q1 = +2.5 x 10-6 C and q2 = +2.5 x 10-6 C, are placed as shown in the diagram below. Point P is a distance 0.05 m from q1 and 0.12 m from q2, such that the angle at P is 90 degrees. Calculate the magnitude of the Electric field E at point P.

Electric Field Magnitude Problem.jpg

Homework Equations

Not sure which of these rules would apply. Also I suck at vectors
F = k x q1 x q2 / r^2

E = k x Q / r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

So I have created the diagram and I believe I have to use the second formula twice, along with some trigonometry, but I'm not sure.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I feel you could make a better stab at figuring out which of those equations are likely to be relevant.
Do you know how to determine the field at a point due to a charge at some other point?
Do you know how to add vectors?

Related to Electric Field caused by two charges problem

1. What is the formula for calculating the electric field caused by two charges?

The formula for calculating the electric field caused by two charges is given by E = k(q1/r1^2 + q2/r2^2), where k is the Coulomb's constant, q1 and q2 are the magnitudes of the two charges, and r1 and r2 are the distances from the charges to the point where the electric field is being calculated.

2. How do we determine the direction of the electric field caused by two charges?

The direction of the electric field is determined by the direction of the force that a positive test charge would experience when placed in the field. If the test charge would experience a repulsive force, then the electric field is directed away from the charge. If the test charge would experience an attractive force, then the electric field is directed towards the charge.

3. What is the principle of superposition and how does it apply to electric fields caused by two charges?

The principle of superposition states that the total electric field at a point due to multiple point charges is equal to the vector sum of the electric fields created by each individual charge. In the case of two charges, we can simply add the electric fields created by each charge to determine the total electric field at a particular point.

4. Can the electric field caused by two charges ever be zero?

Yes, the electric field caused by two charges can be zero. This occurs when the two charges are equal in magnitude and opposite in sign and are placed at equal distances from the point where the electric field is being calculated. In this case, the electric fields created by each charge cancel each other out, resulting in a net electric field of zero.

5. How does the distance between two charges affect the strength of the electric field?

The strength of the electric field is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between the two charges. This means that as the distance between the charges increases, the strength of the electric field decreases. Conversely, as the distance between the charges decreases, the strength of the electric field increases.