Electric Field Calculation for Non-uniformly Charged Sphere

In summary, the problem is to find the electric field at the center of a nonuniformly charged sphere with a given charge density and radius. The suggested approach is to set up an expression for the force due to an infinitesimal volume of the charge and integrate over the entire sphere, but since the charge distribution is spherically symmetric, the integration can be simplified. However, the individual is having trouble applying this method and is unsure how to proceed.
ambuj123
I am having trouble with this problem
There is a sphere haveing nonuniform volume charge desnity p=ar where a is constant and r is radial distance from centre of sphere.
Radius of sphere is R
we have to find electric field at centre of sphere.
Thanx

Physics news on Phys.org
Okay, what have you done?

The standard way of determining the electric field due to a distribution of charge is set up the expression for the force due to an infinitesmal volume of the charge and then integrate of the body.

In this case, while the distribution of charge is not uniform it is spherically symmetric and since you are asked for the field strength at the center of the sphere, you don't really need to do the integration! Imagine two infinitesmal volume on opposite sides of the sphere and equally distant from the center. What can you say about the total force on a test charge at the center from those two volumes?

Last edited by a moderator:
I understood a bit of your suggestion but i am unable to put it to use to solve my problem
i know for a sphere with uniform charge denisity electric field is zero at centre but for non uniform it beats me.
i first thought about doing it by dividing sphere into think spherical shells then integrating but then i remembered that you cannot integrate as such as electric field due to thin spherical shell at centre is zero

can someone please help me.

Last edited:

Related to Electric Field Calculation for Non-uniformly Charged Sphere

1. What is electrostatics?

Electrostatics is the study of electric charges at rest and the forces and fields associated with these charges. It is a branch of physics that deals with the behavior of electrically charged particles and how they interact with each other.

2. What are the fundamental principles of electrostatics?

The fundamental principles of electrostatics include Coulomb's Law, which describes the force between two charged particles, and the principle of superposition, which states that the total force on a charged particle is the sum of the individual forces from all other charged particles.

3. What is the difference between conductors and insulators?

Conductors are materials that allow electric charges to flow freely, while insulators are materials that prevent the flow of electric charges. This is due to the difference in the number of free electrons in each material. Conductors have a higher number of free electrons, while insulators have fewer free electrons.

4. How do electric fields and electric potential relate to each other?

Electric fields and electric potential are both measures of the strength and direction of electric forces. Electric fields are vectors, meaning they have both magnitude and direction, while electric potential is a scalar, meaning it only has magnitude. Electric potential is related to electric fields through the equation V = Ed, where V is electric potential, E is electric field, and d is distance.

5. What are some applications of electrostatics in everyday life?

Some common applications of electrostatics in everyday life include: the use of static electricity to remove lint from clothing, the operation of photocopiers and laser printers, and the use of electrostatic precipitators to remove particles from smokestack emissions. Electrostatics is also important in the design of electronic devices and in the study of atmospheric phenomena like lightning.