Electric Field between Two Thin Conducting Plates

In summary, the electric field between the two thin conducting plates is nearly zero due to the tiny distance between the plates.
doggydan42

Homework Statement

Two thin conducting plates, each 25.0 cm on a side, are situated parallel to one another and 5.0 mm apart. If ##10^{-11}## electrons are moved from one plate to the other, what is the electric field between the plates?

Homework Equations

$$\vec E(P) = \frac{1}{4\pi {\varepsilon}_0}\int_{Surface} \frac{\sigma dA}{r^2}\hat r$$

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought of summing the electric field between the two plates, but I do not know the surface charge density ##(\sigma)##, and I do not know how to incorporate the ##10^{-11}## electrons into the equation.

Thank you in advance.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Since the plate separation is much smaller than the plate size, you can consider the plates as infinite. The electric field of an infinite plate can be easily found using Gauss's law, or you could just look it up.
doggydan42 said:
I thought of summing the electric field between the two plates
Yes, use superposition to find the field of both plates.
doggydan42 said:
how to incorporate the ##10^{-11}## electrons into the equation.
You can't have less than one electron. Do you mean ##10^{11}## electrons?

Yes, I believe it meant ##10^{11}##, but because I'm not sure, I want to calculate with using a variable n for the number of electrons and e for the charge of an electron. I understand that I can consider infinite plates, but my main problem is finding a value for sigma.

Do you have any ideas?

Thank you in advance, and thank you for noticing the error with the number of electrons.

doggydan42 said:
but my main problem is finding a value for sigma.
For an infinite conducting plane, is ##\sigma## constant or not?

##\sigma## would be changing right? Because depending on the number of electrons that move between the plates, the charge distribution would change. So if n electrons moved they would spread of an area A over the surface, but I don't know the area that they will be over.

I meant is ##\sigma## a function of position or is it uniform across the plate?
doggydan42 said:
So if n electrons moved they would spread of an area A over the surface, but I don't know the area that they will be over.
You're on the right track here. If the plates are square with side length 25.0cm, then what is the area?

Oh, I see. So ##\sigma## would be uniform across the plate, and the area should be ##(25.0 cm)^2##. If I understand, then would this be correct?

$$\vec E = \frac{1}{4\pi {\varepsilon}_0} \frac{\sigma A}{r^2} = \frac{A}{4\pi {\varepsilon}_0 r^2}( \frac{q_2}{A}-\frac{q_1}{A}) = \frac{ne}{4\pi {\varepsilon}_0 r^2}$$

r would be the distance between the plates, so 5.0 mm, ne would be the charge of n electrons. ##q_1## and ##q_2## would be the charges of the plates, and ##A=(25.0 cm)^2##

If that's right, should it be a negative or positive electric field?

Thank you

doggydan42 said:
Oh, I see. So ##\sigma## would be uniform across the plate, and the area should be ##(25.0 cm)^2##.
Yes
doggydan42 said:
If I understand, then would this be correct?

$$\vec E = \frac{1}{4\pi {\varepsilon}_0} \frac{\sigma A}{r^2} = \frac{A}{4\pi {\varepsilon}_0 r^2}( \frac{q_2}{A}-\frac{q_1}{A}) = \frac{ne}{4\pi {\varepsilon}_0 r^2}$$
##r## is not constant in the integral, so it can't be factored out. Again, I would recommend finding ##\mathbf{E}## using Gauss's law since actually integrating over the position ##r## will be tricky.
doggydan42 said:
should it be a negative or positive electric field?
It depends how the coordinate system is set up. Remember ##\mathbf{E}## points away from positive charge and towards negative charge.

NFuller said:
rr is not constant in the integral, so it can't be factored out. Again, I would recommend finding E\mathbf{E} using Gauss's law since actually integrating over the position rr will be tricky.

If I were to use Gauss's Law, would I use the following equation?

$$\frac{Q}{\varepsilon_0}=\oint_{Surface} \vec E \dot \,dA \Rightarrow \frac{ne}{\varepsilon_0}=\oint_{Surface} \vec E \dot \,dA$$

Or would it be an open surface? If ##Q \neq ne##, then how would a value for Q be calculated?

Thank you.

It is always a closed surface. You can use the surface of a rectangular prism or a cylinder as the Gaussian surface.

NFuller said:
It is always a closed surface. You can use the surface of a rectangular prism or a cylinder as the Gaussian surface.

So then:

$$\frac{Q}{\varepsilon_0}=\oint_{Surface} \vec E \dot \,dA \Rightarrow \frac{\sigma A}{\varepsilon_0}=\oint_{Surface} \vec E \dot \,dA = A \vec E \Rightarrow \frac{\sigma}{\varepsilon_0} = \vec E = \frac{ne}{A\varepsilon_0}$$

Or does ##\sigma \neq \frac{ne}{A}##? If not, then how should I go about finding ##\sigma##?

Thank you.

doggydan42 said:
So then:

$$\frac{Q}{\varepsilon_0}=\oint_{Surface} \vec E \dot \,dA \Rightarrow \frac{\sigma A}{\varepsilon_0}=\oint_{Surface} \vec E \dot \,dA = A \vec E \Rightarrow \frac{\sigma}{\varepsilon_0} = \vec E = \frac{ne}{A\varepsilon_0}$$

Or does ##\sigma \neq \frac{ne}{A}##? If not, then how should I go about finding ##\sigma##?

Thank you.
Remember there are two surfaces with area ##A## for the Gaussian surface, one above the plane and one below. So your answer is nearly right but off by a factor 1/2.
$$E=\frac{ne}{2A\epsilon_{0}}$$
This is the magnitude of the electric field produced by one of the planes.

NFuller said:
Remember there are two surfaces with area ##A## for the Gaussian surface, one above the plane and one below. So your answer is nearly right but off by a factor 1/2.
$$E=\frac{ne}{2A\epsilon_{0}}$$
This is the magnitude of the electric field produced by one of the planes.

So if I want to find the electric field between both plates, would I not sum it to become ##\vec E=\frac{ne}{A\epsilon_{0}}##?

doggydan42 said:
So if I want to find the electric field between both plates, would I not sum it to become ##\vec E=\frac{ne}{A\epsilon_{0}}##?
For both plates, you sum it and the 1/2 factor goes away. I wasn't sure which step you were on in post #11.

NFuller said:
For both plates, you sum it and the 1/2 factor goes away. I wasn't sure which step you were on in post #11.

Okay that makes sense, but how would I determine the direction of the electric field?
Since the charge is negative, that means the electric field is negative. If both planes are parallel to the y-axis and perpendicular to the x-axis, then does that mean the electric field is going in the ##-\hat j## direction?

It depends how your diagram is laid out. One of the plates is negative but the other is positive. So if you draw a vector pointing from the positive plate to the negative plate, in which direction does it point?

Okay. Thank you so much for your help, I think I was able to get a better idea of how to solve these problems, and am able to conceptualize them better.

Related to Electric Field between Two Thin Conducting Plates

1. What is an electric field between two thin conducting plates?

An electric field between two thin conducting plates is a region in space where an electric charge experiences a force. It is created by the presence of two parallel, thin, and highly conductive plates with opposite charges.

2. How is the strength of the electric field between two conducting plates determined?

The strength of the electric field between two conducting plates is determined by the distance between the plates, the magnitude of the charges on the plates, and the dielectric constant of the material between the plates.

3. What is the direction of the electric field between two conducting plates?

The direction of the electric field between two conducting plates is always perpendicular to the surface of the plates, pointing from the positively charged plate towards the negatively charged plate.

4. Can the electric field between two conducting plates be uniform?

Yes, the electric field between two conducting plates can be uniform if the plates are infinitely large and the distance between them is constant. This means that the strength and direction of the electric field are the same at all points between the plates.

5. How does the electric field between two conducting plates change with the introduction of a dielectric material?

The presence of a dielectric material between two conducting plates reduces the strength of the electric field between them. This is because the dielectric material has a polarizing effect, which weakens the electric field by reducing the separation of charges on the plates.