Electric Field between two charged plates

In summary, the problem involves two large parallel conducting plates with equal and opposite charges on their facing surfaces, and an electron placed between them experiences an electrostatic force of 1.3 × 10-15 N. To find the magnitude of the electric field at the position of the electron, the formula E = F/q can be applied, taking into account the charge of an electron. The plates can be treated as large and close enough to make the electric field between them uniform. With the correct value for the charge of an electron, the magnitude of the electric field is calculated to be 8.11 × 10-3 N/C.
ft92

Homework Statement

Two large, parallel, conducting plates are 7.5 cm apart and have charges of equal magnitude and opposite sign on their facing surfaces. An electrostatic force of 1.3 × 10-15 N acts on an electron placed anywhere between the two plates. (Neglect fringing.)

Find the magnitude of the electric field at the position of the electron

Homework Equations

E= F/q

The Attempt at a Solution

Hi, my question is: Can I solve the problem by simply considering the plates large and close enough to make the Electric field between them uniform and apply E= F/q to find the electric field? that is:

E= 1.3 x 10-15/1.67 x 10-19 = 7.78 x 103 N/C ?

It feels like I'm ignoring the information of the distance...

Physics news on Phys.org
Usually when a problem says that something is "large" without saying exactly how large, it's meant to imply that a simplifying assumption can be made. In this case it means that you can treat the electric field as being uniform as you suggested.

You'll want to check the value you've used for the charge on an electron :wink:

Thanks for your reply!
Ok, if I use for the charge of the electron -1.602 x 10-19 i get : 1.3 x 10-15/ -1.602 x 10-19= -8.11x 10-3 N/C correct?

Last edited:
That looks better :smile:

actually without the minus sign because I'm asked for the magnitude only

Related to Electric Field between two charged plates

1. What is an electric field between two charged plates?

An electric field is a physical quantity that describes the amount of force that a charged particle would experience at a certain point in space. It is created by the presence of two charged plates, with opposite charges, placed close together.

2. How is the electric field between two charged plates calculated?

The electric field between two charged plates can be calculated using Coulomb's Law, which states that the force between two charged particles is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

3. What factors affect the strength of the electric field between two charged plates?

The strength of the electric field between two charged plates is affected by the magnitude of the charges on the plates, the distance between the plates, and the medium in which the plates are situated.

4. How does the electric field between two charged plates affect charged particles?

The electric field between two charged plates exerts a force on any charged particle placed in the field. The direction of the force depends on the charge of the particle and the direction of the electric field. Positively charged particles will experience a force in the direction of the electric field, while negatively charged particles will experience a force in the opposite direction.

5. Can the electric field between two charged plates be manipulated?

Yes, the electric field between two charged plates can be manipulated by changing the distance between the plates or by altering the charges on the plates. This can be done by using a variable power supply or by changing the setup of the plates.