Electric field between parallel plates

In summary: The first method does not take advantage of the fact that you know there are two plates. You are taking each plate as an independent sheet of charge and then adding up the results. Perfectly OK.
physiks
I'm a little confused between two approaches to this problem:

First approach (the one that makes sense to me):
Choose a Gaussian surface over each plate. We have 2EA=σA/Eo so E=σ/2Eo for the positively charged plate and likewise for the negative plate. Within the capacitor, the fields superpose giving E=σ/Eo whilst outside they cancel.

Second approach:
Consider only one plate. We now seem to assume no field passes out one side of the plates, so that EA=σA/Eoand E=σ/Eo. We then don't bother superposing fields at all.

I don't understand the second method - surely we're doing two things wrong:
Ignoring one side of the plate
Not superposing the fields
and these two wrongs happen to make a right.

Can somebody explain this to me please, thanks :)

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't understand your statement "We now seem to assume no field passes out one side of the plates" for the 2nd approach. Why are you making this assumption? And what do you hope to accomplish by only considering one plate?

swordthrower said:
I don't understand your statement "We now seem to assume no field passes out one side of the plates" for the 2nd approach. Why are you making this assumption? And what do you hope to accomplish by only considering one plate?

That's the problem though. The method I'm quoting seems to be doing that.

physiks said:
I'm a little confused between two approaches to this problem:

First approach (the one that makes sense to me):
Choose a Gaussian surface over each plate. We have 2EA=σA/Eo so E=σ/2Eo for the positively charged plate and likewise for the negative plate. Within the capacitor, the fields superpose giving E=σ/Eo whilst outside they cancel.

Second approach:
Consider only one plate. We now seem to assume no field passes out one side of the plates, so that EA=σA/Eoand E=σ/Eo. We then don't bother superposing fields at all.

I don't understand the second method - surely we're doing two things wrong:
Ignoring one side of the plate
Not superposing the fields
and these two wrongs happen to make a right.

Can somebody explain this to me please, thanks :)
The first method does not take advantage of the fact that you know there are two plates. You are taking each plate as an independent sheet of charge and then adding up the results. Perfectly OK.

The second method looks at both plates together and takes advantage of knowing that no field passes out of one side of the plates. Also perfectly OK. That automatically incorporates the effect of both plates.

Doc Al said:
The first method does not take advantage of the fact that you know there are two plates. You are taking each plate as an independent sheet of charge and then adding up the results. Perfectly OK.

The second method looks at both plates together and takes advantage of knowing that no field passes out of one side of the plates. Also perfectly OK. That automatically incorporates the effect of both plates.

In the second case, why can we assume no field passes out of one side of the plates (without using the first case). Because each plate would have some net charges, so surely there is still flux out of both sides...

Okay, I see what you were saying. The 2nd approach still assumes both plates are present, but only considers one of the plates. In this case, you are making a simplification based on the symmetry of the problem. Because the plates have opposite charges but the same charge density, you know from symmetry that the fields outside of the plates will cancel each other out.

physiks said:
Because each plate would have some net charges, so surely there is still flux out of both sides...
Only if you treat each plate independently, as if the other weren't there.

You can also put one side of your Gaussian surface within the conducting material of a plate.

swordthrower said:
Okay, I see what you were saying. The 2nd approach still assumes both plates are present, but only considers one of the plates.
The 2nd approach tacitly considers the effect of both plates.

In this case, you are making a simplification based on the symmetry of the problem. Because the plates have opposite charges but the same charge density, you know from symmetry that the fields outside of the plates will cancel each other out.
Right.

Doc Al said:
Only if you treat each plate independently, as if the other weren't there.

You can also put one side of your Gaussian surface within the conducting material of a plate.

I just find the first method much more logical. At least I'm aware of both anyway.

Related to Electric field between parallel plates

1. What is the electric field between parallel plates?

The electric field between parallel plates is the force per unit charge experienced by a test charge placed between two parallel plates. It is a measure of the strength and direction of the electric force on a charged particle.

2. How is the electric field between parallel plates calculated?

The electric field between parallel plates can be calculated by dividing the magnitude of the potential difference between the plates by the distance between them. It can also be calculated using the formula E = V/d, where E is the electric field, V is the potential difference, and d is the distance between the plates.

3. What factors affect the strength of the electric field between parallel plates?

The strength of the electric field between parallel plates is affected by the magnitude of the potential difference, the distance between the plates, and the charge on the plates. It is also affected by the dielectric constant of the material between the plates.

4. How does the direction of the electric field between parallel plates change?

The direction of the electric field between parallel plates is always perpendicular to the plates, and it points from the positively charged plate to the negatively charged plate. This direction does not change unless the charge on the plates or the distance between them is altered.

5. What is the significance of the electric field between parallel plates?

The electric field between parallel plates is significant because it plays a crucial role in many practical applications, such as in capacitors, particle accelerators, and electrostatic precipitators. It also helps us understand the behavior of charged particles and their interactions with other charged objects.