Electric field at the surface of a filament.

Overall, the electric field strength at the surface of the filament will be slightly higher in the frame where it is moving. In summary, the electric field strength at the surface of a nylon filament with a diameter of 0.01cm and a length of 4cm, with 5.0e-8 extra electrons distributed uniformly over the surface, is 3.59e5N/C in the rest frame and slightly higher in a frame where the filament is moving at a speed of 0.9c in a direction parallel to its length.
miew
On a nylon filament 0.01cm in diameter and 4cm long there are 5.0e-8 extra electrons distributed uniformly over the surface. What is the electric field strength at the surface of the filament?
a) In the rest frame of the filament?
b) In a frame in which the filament is moving at a speed 0.9c in a direction parallel to its length.

Homework Equations

E-field for cylinder: E= Q/(2piLr[tex]\epsilon[/tex])

The Attempt at a Solution

First I calculated the charge which is Q=(#electrons)(1.6e-19)=8e-11C and I plugged that in the E formula. I got E= 3.59e5N/C
For b) i calculated the new length which is 4/(1-(0.9)^2)^(1/2) and I did the same process.

I just wanted to know if that is right or not. I am a little confused.
Thank !

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, your calculation is correct. For part (b), since the filament is moving at a speed close to the speed of light, its length will appear shorter in the rest frame, so you have to use the new length in the equation.

Related to Electric field at the surface of a filament.

1. What is an electric field at the surface of a filament?

An electric field at the surface of a filament is the force per unit charge experienced by a charged particle placed at the surface of a filament. It is a measure of the electric field intensity at that particular point and is expressed in units of volts per meter.

2. How is the electric field at the surface of a filament calculated?

The electric field at the surface of a filament can be calculated using the equation E = V/d, where E is the electric field intensity, V is the voltage, and d is the distance between the filament and the charged particle. It can also be calculated by taking the derivative of the potential function at the surface of the filament.

3. What factors affect the electric field at the surface of a filament?

The electric field at the surface of a filament is affected by several factors, including the distance between the filament and the charged particle, the voltage applied to the filament, and the shape and material of the filament. It is also influenced by the presence of other charged particles or conductors nearby.

4. How does the electric field at the surface of a filament affect the behavior of charged particles?

The electric field at the surface of a filament plays a crucial role in determining the behavior of charged particles. It can attract or repel charged particles, causing them to move and interact with other particles or conductors. The strength and direction of the electric field can also affect the trajectory of charged particles.

5. Can the electric field at the surface of a filament be manipulated?

Yes, the electric field at the surface of a filament can be manipulated by changing the voltage applied to the filament or by altering the distance between the filament and the charged particle. It can also be affected by the placement of other charged particles or conductors in the vicinity. These manipulations can be used to control the behavior of charged particles and can have practical applications in various fields, including electronics and materials science.