Electric field at specific point

In summary, the conversation discusses determining the electric field at point P with coordinates (2a,0) due to a thin rod with a uniform linear charge distribution from -a to a. The contributors suggest using integration to find the electric field and provide guidance on how to properly set up the integral. They also clarify the use of vectors and the importance of correctly defining the distance from the charge to point P. Ultimately, the conversation arrives at the correct expression for the electric field at point P, with the final step being to integrate over the limits of the rod's charge distribution.
cdummie
< Mentor Note -- thread moved to HH from the technical engineering forums, so no HH Template is shown >

Determine the electric field in point P with coordinates (2a,0), if there's thin rod charged with electric charge Q and it's laying on x coordinate with length from -a to a, and it it's placed in vacuum.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
If it is a thin rod then you may assume a linear charge distribution in the segment [-a,a]. I assume this distribution is uniform. Try to express an infinitesimal portion of the Electric field created at point P (## d\vec E## ) by an infinitesimal charge (## dq ##) at arbitrary position x in [-a,a]. I'll leave you to think a bit more about it.

mr_sparxx said:
If it is a thin rod then you may assume a linear charge distribution in the segment [-a,a]. I assume this distribution is uniform. Try to express an infinitesimal portion of the Electric field created at point P (## d\vec E## ) by an infinitesimal charge (## dq ##) at arbitrary position x in [-a,a]. I'll leave you to think a bit more about it.

I think i know what you mean, i'll try to solve it by summing (integrating) contributions of all dE vectors, when i solve it i'll post it here.

Likes Demforiq
mr_sparxx said:

I tried integrating it but every time i end up with this:

Screenshot_1.png

But i know it's not correct since result is zero so i probably made a mistake but i can't find where.

That is what I meant. Still, there are some issues in your work:
  1. Your second equation should have vectors to be coherent with what you are doing in the first one (just multiply by the unitary vector that has the direction of the line that goes from the charge to the point P). Luckily, all the contributions to the electric field are parallel, so the vector will be constant in the integral.
  2. Why use ##dl## when your rod is parallel to coordinate ##x##?
  3. Be aware that ##r## is the distance from the charge (##dQ##) to point ##P##. Can you express it as a function of ##x##?
cdummie said:
But i know it's not correct since result is zero so i probably made a mistake but i can't find where.
You should not arrive to this integral if you do it right, but I must tell you that it is not zero: actually it is a divergent improper integral (note that ## r \rightarrow 0 \Rightarrow \frac{1}{r^2} \rightarrow \infty ## ).

Check http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Improper_integral

mr_sparxx said:
That is what I meant. Still, there are some issues in your work:
  1. Your second equation should have vectors to be coherent with what you are doing in the first one (just multiply by the unitary vector that has the direction of the line that goes from the charge to the point P). Luckily, all the contributions to the electric field are parallel, so the vector will be constant in the integral.
  2. Why use ##dl## when your rod is parallel to coordinate ##x##?
  3. Be aware that ##r## is the distance from the charge (##dQ##) to point ##P##. Can you express it as a function of ##x##?

You should not arrive to this integral if you do it right, but I must tell you that it is not zero: actually it is a divergent improper integral (note that ## r \rightarrow 0 \Rightarrow \frac{1}{r^2} \rightarrow \infty ## ).

Check http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Improper_integral

So, basically i can use dx instead of dl since rod is parallel to the x coordinate?

Exactly: a piece of ##l## is a piece of ##x##.

So, is this better:
Screenshot_1.png

Yes but your integration limits are incorrect. You should be integrating (summing) contributions to the electric field of charges within the rod, not outside (##[a,3a]## is outside).
Furthermore, you should have the distance from the charge ##dQ## to the point P (that is, ##r##) expressed as a function of ## x ## (note that it is not identical to ##x##). Just to make things clearer, include the unitary vector:

## \vec {dE} = \frac {Q' dx}{4 r^2 \pi \epsilon_0} \vec i ##

where ## \vec i ## is the unitary vector in the ##x ## direction (remember that the electric field is a vector).

Last edited:
mr_sparxx said:
Yes but your integration limits are incorrect. You should be integrating (summing) contributions to the electric field of charges within the rod, not outside (##[a,3a]## is outside).
Furthermore, you should have the distance from the charge ##dQ## to the point P (that is, ##r##) expressed as a function of ## x ##

## \vec {dE} = \frac {Q' dx}{4 r^2 \pi \epsilon_0} \vec i ##

where ## \vec i ## is the unitary vector in the ##x ## direction (remember that the electric field is a vector).
I know it's a vector but it makes no difference while calculating it, i see, i should put integration limits [-a,a] since that is the part with the electric field. I'll finish it and post it. Thank you.

cdummie said:
I know it's a vector but it makes no difference while calculating it
Correct, since all contributions are parallel. Anyway, it does no harm. ; )

mr_sparxx said:
Correct, since all contributions are parallel. Anyway, it does no harm. ; )

It would be different if point P coordinates were for example (2a, 2a), then there would be two components of a vector dE, anyway i tried to express r as a function of x and i got r=2a-x and this is what i got:
Screenshot_1.png

Where r' represents unitary vector (i hope 'unitary' is the correct term) that defines direction of the vector E'. Hopefully, this is correct, if it isn't please point it out, anyway i think i understand this kind of problems better now, thank you :)

Seems ok to me. Just to complete the problem, try to express ## Q' ## in terms of given data (##a ## and ##Q##).
cdummie said:
Where r' represents unitary vector (i hope 'unitary' is the correct term) that defines direction of the vector E'.
I think 'unitary' is a bad translation... It is actually 'unit' vector: I'm sorry.
cdummie said:
thank you:)
I'm glad to help :)

Related to Electric field at specific point

1. What is an electric field at a specific point?

The electric field at a specific point is a measure of the force that an electric charge would feel at that point. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction, and is typically measured in units of Newtons per Coulomb (N/C).

2. How is the electric field at a specific point calculated?

The electric field at a specific point is calculated by dividing the force acting on a small test charge at that point by the magnitude of the test charge. This can be represented as E = F/q, where E is the electric field, F is the force, and q is the test charge. Alternatively, it can also be calculated by taking the derivative of the electric potential at that point with respect to distance.

3. What factors affect the electric field at a specific point?

The electric field at a specific point is affected by the magnitude and direction of the source charge(s) and the distance between the source charge(s) and the point in question. It is also affected by the medium surrounding the point, as different materials have different levels of electric permittivity which can alter the strength of the electric field.

4. How does the electric field at a specific point relate to electric potential?

The electric field at a specific point is directly related to the electric potential at that point. The electric potential is the amount of work required to move a unit charge from infinity to that point, and is measured in Volts (V). The electric field is the negative gradient of the electric potential, meaning that it is the rate of change of the potential with respect to distance. In other words, the direction of the electric field is always in the direction of decreasing potential.

5. What is the significance of the electric field at a specific point?

The electric field at a specific point is significant because it helps us understand and predict the behavior of electric charges in that region. It can tell us how much force a charge would experience at that point and in which direction it would move. It is also important in various applications, such as in electronics and electric circuits, where controlling the electric field is crucial for proper functioning.