Electric Field around Conducting Surfaces

In summary: The answer to c and d are correct if the two shells are grounded.If they are neutral, then Gauss's law says that the answers to b,c,and d should all be kQ/r^2.The shells were initially grounded, but then released. But why would that make a difference? Wouldn't grounding make the shells neutral?Grounding makes the shells neutral.
nimadh
Hey,

Completing AP Problems, I ran into a puzzling answer.

Basically, there was a conducting sphere with charge Q on it and radius R1, and then around it two hollow hemispheres were placed (forming a spherical capacitor) which had no charge, with Radius R2 at the inner edge and R3 at the outer edge.

Basically, the problem asked for the electric field
- a) less than R1
- b) between R1 and R2
- c) between R2 and R3
- d) greater than R3

The answers were given as:
- a) zero
- b) kQ/R^2
- c) zero
- d) zero

I understand a, b, and c, but I could not understand why d is zero. Wouldn't the enclosed charge according to Gauss's law be the charge on the inner sphere? Or would the outer conducting surface somehow neutralize the charge?

Keep in mind that this is an actual Collegeboard Question, so the answers are certainly right (at least using basic physics). The Question is Physics C 1999 #1 for Electromagnetism.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
The charges (electron, there is no net charge on the outer sphere) on the outer sphere cancel the the charge from the inner sphere. I cannot remember exactly why this happens, but I know it has to do with the ability for charges to move freely within a conducting material.

That's something along what I was thinking, but wouldn't that happen for all cases with a (initially grounded) conductor near a charge? This "neutralizing" of the electric field beyond the conductor?

That is similar to the situation of having a hollow conductive sphere, without a charge, and placing a point charge outside of it. The electric field INSIDE of the sphere is zero, because if we used gauss' law around the sphere, the net charge inside is zero!

The answers to c and d are correct if the two shells are grounded.
If they are neutral, then Gauss's law says that the answers to b,c,and d should all be kQ/r^2.

The shells were initially grounded, but then released. But why would that make a difference? Wouldn't grounding make the shells neutral?

Hunh, that's interesting. Could someone please explain how grounding works in the presence of these other charges?
=EDIT=
Wait a second... grounding means some set low potential, right? So in that case there is zero potential difference between the inner and outer capacitor-parts? So there's no field there.
Outside the capacitor... why is the field zero? Has the grounding somehow induced a total negative charge on the inner part of the small capacitor-part?

Fyzxfreak, I think the post before your edit hit it on the head--grounding would get rid of the positive charges and leave a net negative charge on the spheres.

Haha, really? Whoops, I felt like I had no idea what I was talking about.

So what grounding does is hook the inner shell up to a zero potential of sorts... which is why the positive charges would like to leave? ... while the negative charges stay attracted to the +Q? For the outer shell, then, there's nothing inside so... nothing happens. And therefore the field is zero between and outside the capacitor.
IS this handwaving or is this legit?

I think that's a fair way to look at it, except I don't understand what you mean by "For the outer shell, then, there's nothing inside so... nothing happens."

Basically, the way I see it, the outer shell is surrounding a positive charge (positive potential, l like you said), so all the negative charges want to go toward the charge, while the positive charges want to move away. Normally, this would cause a negative charge on the inner edge and positive charge on the outer edge, thus cancelling itself out when you use Gauss's law. But by grounding it, we allow the positive charges to leave, leaving a net charge of -Q on the outer shell and making the net charge of the capacitor zero.

Obviously, of course, there is really only one type of charge, but this aids description.

Is this correct?

Ah, well I think what I mean by nothing happens is that from the point of view of the outer capacitor-shell, there's the inner +Q but also the -Q that formed from grounding the inner capacitor-shell. Thus, there is no net enclosed charge inside the outer capacitor-shell and therefore no field outside of it (by Gauss' Law).

We're on the same page then. Excellent! Thanks! Your random musings brought out my insight :D

Good! Glad to be of help! Hopefully it's correct! :smile:

nimadh said:
The shells were initially grounded, but then released. But why would that make a difference? Wouldn't grounding make the shells neutral?
Grounding the shells makes the inner one charged with -Q, but the outer one would be neutral.
You can trust the College Board.

Related to Electric Field around Conducting Surfaces

1. What is an electric field around a conducting surface?

The electric field around a conducting surface refers to the region of space in which the electric force acts on charged particles due to the presence of the conducting surface. It is a vector quantity that determines the direction and magnitude of the force that a charged particle will experience when placed in the electric field.

2. How is the electric field around a conducting surface calculated?

The electric field around a conducting surface can be calculated using Gauss's Law, which states that the electric flux through a closed surface is equal to the charge enclosed by that surface divided by the permittivity of free space. This can be represented by the equation E = Q/ε, where E is the electric field, Q is the charge enclosed, and ε is the permittivity of free space.

3. What factors affect the strength of the electric field around a conducting surface?

The strength of the electric field around a conducting surface is affected by several factors, including the magnitude of the charge on the surface, the distance from the surface, and the shape and size of the surface. The presence of other nearby charged objects can also affect the strength of the electric field.

4. How does the electric field around a conducting surface differ from that around an insulating surface?

The main difference between the electric field around a conducting surface and an insulating surface is that the electric field around a conducting surface is zero inside the surface, while the electric field around an insulating surface may not be zero inside. This is because the free charges in a conducting surface can redistribute themselves to cancel out the electric field inside, while an insulating surface does not have free charges to do so.

5. How can the electric field around a conducting surface be manipulated?

The electric field around a conducting surface can be manipulated by changing the charge on the surface, altering the distance from the surface, or changing the shape and size of the surface. Additionally, placing other charged objects nearby can also affect the electric field around the conducting surface. This manipulation of the electric field is useful in many practical applications, such as in electronic devices and power transmission systems.