Electric field and orientation

In summary, the favorable orientation of the water molecule towards the anion in the gas phase is with the positive hydrogen atoms facing towards the negative anion charge. The calculation for the electric field experienced by the anion when the water dipole is 1.0 nm from the ion is given by the equation E= (9.0x10^9 * 1.85)/(1.0x10^-9)^2 = 0.05553 V/m. This takes into account the two charges in the dipole and would change if the orientation was not end-on. It is important to note that electric field is a vector and includes direction in addition to magnitude.
Danicathea
Suppose that H2O molecule (micro = 1.85 D) approaches an anion (such as Cl-) in the
gas phase (situation typical of the ion-induced nucleation of atmospheric water vapor).
(a) What is the favorable orientation of a molecule? (b) Calculate the electric field (in
V/m) experienced by the anion when water dipole is 1.0 nm from the ion.

Homework Equations

I don't know if it is relevant but I think this must be used maybe E=F/q or E=K * Q/d^2 where K is a constant of 9.0x10^9 N * m^2/C^2 and Q is electric force and d is distance between the two objects

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay so I don't know if this is right but this my guess E= (9.0x10^9 * 1.85)/(1.0x10^-9)^2
= 1.67x10^28 N*D/C^2 I know this is not the right units and that to get voltage i need to have N*m/C that then equals joules/C that =voltage. I am just very confused and any help would be great. I am not exactly sure what it means by orientation like if is talking about the geometry of the molecule or if it should be drawn out with the hydrogen bonds on the water molecule facing towards the anion.

Physics news on Phys.org
You should be reasoning it out rather than guessing.

You need to show the favorable orientation ... this just requires a qualitative understanding of electrostatics.
The water molecule is being modeled as a dipole - you should have something about this in your notes.
The Cl- ion, by comparison, is just a normal negative charge.

So which way will the water molecule want to orient wrt the ion?
i.e., which charges attract and which repel?

The second part requires the electric field of a dipole - which will be in your notes.
It looks like you are given the dipole moment if by "micro" you mean the Greek letter "mu".

Actually we haven't covered any of this in class we have looked at computer simulations of water in class and that's about it so far so it is me just guessing cause we have not been given any formulas. The formula i have in my thing is from me looking it up online since there is also no textbook for this class.

As well I think i solved it where i turned the Debye unit into C*m so this is what i got
(9.0x10^9)(6.17x10^-36)/(1.0x10^9)^2=0.05553N*C which equals 0.05553V/m.

welll the orientation is going to be the water molecules surrounding the anion where the positive hydrogen's are going to be towards the negative anion charge. The equation looked like it fit the question lol.

Since it's a dipole, the water molecule is being modeled as a kinda dumb-bell with a + charge on one end and a - charge on the other end.

What you've just said is that the + end will point towards the anion - good.
You are asked to calculate the electric field.

I am concerned that you don't understand the relations you have been using.
i.e.

how does the equation account for the fact there are two charges in the dipole?
if the orientation were not end-on like that, would that make a difference to the equation?

finally: electric field is a vector. You were not asked for just the magnitude so you should probably include a statement about the direction as well.

Did you have a look at the link I gave you?

well I assumed since hydrogen is a +1 charge and the anion like chlorine is a -1 charge that the charges would cancel each other out. I thought that the charges had to be accounted for if one had like a +2 and one had a -1. I would assume if the orientation was not end on end than yes it would change the equation because there would not be the interaction of the anion and cation. thus not creating a bond. I looked at the link I would like it if they explained what everything is in the equations. Cause I got slightly confused with it and thank you for your help. I wish this was covered in class.

Related to Electric field and orientation

What is an electric field?

An electric field is a region around a charged object where other charged particles experience a force. It is created by the presence of a charged object and is responsible for the attraction or repulsion of other charged particles.

How is the strength of an electric field calculated?

The strength of an electric field is calculated by dividing the force experienced by a charged particle by the magnitude of the charge of the particle. It is measured in units of newtons per coulomb (N/C).

What factors affect the orientation of an electric field?

The orientation of an electric field is affected by the magnitude and direction of the charges creating the field, as well as the distance between the charges. The orientation can also be influenced by external factors such as the presence of other objects or materials.

How is the direction of an electric field represented?

The direction of an electric field is represented by the direction in which a positive test charge would move if placed in the field. This is often shown using electric field lines, which point in the direction of the force on a positive test charge.

What are some real-world applications of electric fields and orientation?

Electric fields and orientation have many important applications in daily life. They are used in electronic devices such as computers and cell phones, in medical equipment such as MRI machines, and in power generation and transmission. They are also essential for understanding and harnessing the forces of nature, such as in the study of lightning and the behavior of atoms and molecules.