Electric Eel: Why It Doesn't Shock Itself

In summary: Electric eel don't have to constantly generate current because they have a discharge path that is controlled by their fat.
GT1
Why Electric eel doesn't electrifying itself ?

Physics news on Phys.org
This is because the electric charge within the eel is greater than its surrounding environment, just as heat travels from an area of high concentration to an area of low concentration (when you touch a hot pan, you get burned, the pan does not), electric current generated by the eel's current-generating cells moves from the higher concentration (the eel) to a lower concentration (the prey). Moreover, the eel does not constantly produce electric current, it does so whenever it is needed for attacking, or when it is startled.
Fun fact: the Eel is not an eel, it is a knifefish! More clsoely related to the catfish.

Also, please remember that I'm making this answer up based on a wikipedia article and an intuitive guess. IF anyone can confirm or refute what I have said, I would be much obliged.

Last edited:
A.I. said:
This is because the electric charge within the eel is greater than its surrounding environment, just as heat travels from an area of high concentration to an area of low concentration (when you touch a hot pan, you get burned, the pan does not), electric current generated by the eel's current-generating cells moves from the higher concentration (the eel) to a lower concentration (the prey).

According to your explanation every "skin" cell of the eel have to be charged, as far as I know the voltage is created on some specific organ of the eel.

A.I. said:
This is because the electric charge within the eel is greater than its surrounding environment, just as heat travels from an area of high concentration to an area of low concentration (when you touch a hot pan, you get burned, the pan does not), electric current generated by the eel's current-generating cells moves from the higher concentration (the eel) to a lower concentration (the prey). Moreover, the eel does not constantly produce electric current, it does so whenever it is needed for attacking, or when it is startled.
Fun fact: the Eel is not an eel, it is a knifefish! More clsoely related to the catfish.

Also, please remember that I'm making this answer up based on a wikipedia article and an intuitive guess. IF anyone can confirm or refute what I have said, I would be much obliged.

This reminds me of my high school chemistry days of osmosis, where in natural systems higher concentrations move to regions to lower concentration.
I guess this concept extends beyond biological systems.

Related to Electric Eel: Why It Doesn't Shock Itself

1. How does an electric eel produce electricity?

An electric eel has specialized cells called electrocytes that produce electricity. These cells are stacked together to form an electric organ, which makes up 80% of the eel's body. When the eel wants to produce electricity, it activates these cells and they release a burst of electrical current.

2. Why doesn't an electric eel shock itself?

An electric eel has a special nervous system that allows it to control the intensity and direction of its electric shocks. The eel's brain sends signals to its electric organ, telling it when to release electricity and how much. This allows the eel to avoid shocking itself while hunting or defending itself.

3. How powerful is an electric eel's shock?

An electric eel's shock can range from 100 to 860 volts, with an average of 500 volts. This is enough to stun or kill its prey, but not enough to seriously harm a human. However, multiple shocks from an electric eel can be dangerous, especially for those with heart conditions or weak immune systems.

4. Can an electric eel control the strength of its shocks?

Yes, an electric eel can control the intensity of its shocks. It can release a small amount of electricity for hunting or a larger amount for self-defense. The eel can also regulate the duration and frequency of its shocks, depending on the situation.

5. How does an electric eel's electricity affect its prey?

An electric eel's electricity can paralyze or stun its prey, making it easier to catch and eat. The eel's shocks can also disrupt the prey's nervous system, making it unable to swim or escape. In some cases, the electricity can even kill the prey instantly.