Electric Dipole Field: Difference & Coordinates

In summary, the conversation discusses the validity of formulas for electric dipoles in different coordinate systems and the difference between pure and physical dipoles. It is noted that many books place the origin of the cartesian system at the middle point of the electric dipole moment vector for simplicity in calculations. The distinction between real and ideal dipoles is also mentioned.
Septim
Greetings,

I wonder with respect to what coordinates the formulas given for the electric dipole is valid. Also I want to comprehend the difference between pure and physical dipoles and why many books put the origin of the cartesian system they define on the middle point of the electric dipole moment vector( I think they should put the origin at the tail of the vector). Any insight is welcome.

Thanks in advance,

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Septim said:
Greetings,

I wonder with respect to what coordinates the formulas given for the electric dipole is valid.
Whatever coordinate system the formulas are given in of course. You need to be specific.
Also I want to comprehend the difference between pure and physical dipoles and why many books put the origin of the cartesian system they define on the middle point of the electric dipole moment vector( I think they should put the origin at the tail of the vector). Any insight is welcome.
The books are putting the origin half-way between the charges not the dipole vector - which can be drawn anywhere. They put the origin there to make the math/derivations simpler. You can put the origin anyplace you like.

The difference between real and "pure" or ideal dipoles is the same as real vs ideal anything.
Also see:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=222675

Related to Electric Dipole Field: Difference & Coordinates

1. What is an electric dipole field?

An electric dipole field is a type of electromagnetic field that is created by two opposite charges that are separated by a distance. This field is characterized by a dipole moment, which is a measure of the strength of the field.

2. What is the difference between an electric dipole field and a monopole field?

A monopole field is created by a single charge, while an electric dipole field is created by two opposite charges. The main difference between these two fields is that the electric dipole field has a dipole moment, while the monopole field does not.

3. How is the electric dipole field strength calculated?

The electric dipole field strength can be calculated using the equation F = (q1q2/r^2)(cosθ), where q1 and q2 are the magnitudes of the two charges, r is the distance between them, and θ is the angle between the vector joining the two charges and the direction of the field.

4. How do the coordinates of an electric dipole field affect its strength?

The strength of an electric dipole field is affected by both the magnitude and direction of the charges, as well as the distance between them. The coordinates also play a role, as the strength of the field decreases as you move further away from the dipole.

5. What are some real-world applications of electric dipole fields?

Electric dipole fields have many practical applications, such as in capacitors, antennas, and electric motors. They are also used in medical imaging techniques, such as MRI machines, and in various electronic devices.