Electric Dipole Energy Outside Sphere

In summary: Qd cosθ ar / (2 π ε0 r3) + Qd sinθ aθ / (4 π ε0 r3) dr is valid for the E field at any r or θ in spherical coordinate system.In summary, the electric dipole with charge ±q is separated by distance d. The dipole is enclosed in a spherical space of radius r = a such that the center of the dipole is located at the origin and the entire dipole is encased in the space. The charges are at ±d/2 and a > d/2. The total energy everywhere outside the sphere is WE.
Jake 7174

Homework Statement

An electric dipole with charge ±q is separated by distance d. This dipole is enclosed in a spherical space of radius r = a such that the center of the dipole is located at the origin and the entire dipole in encased in the space. In other words the charges are at ±d/2 and a > d/2 Find the total energy everywhere outside the sphere.

Homework Equations

WE = ∫∫∫ 1/2 ε0 E2 dv

Edipole = Qd cosθ ar / (2 π ε0 r3) + Qd sinθ aθ / (4 π ε0 r3)

Where ar and aθ are unit vectors.

The Attempt at a Solution

I know I must do the above integral twice. I need to first do this to ∞ and again with the spherical space. My answer will be the difference between the two. I am having issue because this was something that is not in the text. We only covered briefly in lecture.

I think I have a problem with my approach. I first want to find the energy to infinity. So I do this

ε0/2 ∫∫∫ Qd cosθ ar / (2 π ε0 r3) + Qd sinθ aθ / (4 π ε0 r3) dr from r=0 to ∞ dθ from θ=0 to π dφ from φ=0 to 2π

The result of this blows up due to the 0 in the limits of the first integral. Not sure what to do about this. I suppose I could set my limits from r = a to infinity. I guess this would result in my answer provided my equations listed in the equation section are valid. This leaves a huge question in my understanding however. What if I were asked for the energy in just the sphere? Then my limits would have to have the 0.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Jake 7174 said:
My big issue with this is finding E. I am not sure how to do this for a spherical region. E varies with 1/r2. But the radius in this case varies. How do I begin with this?

i think first you should calculate field E due to a dipole at any point (r,theta) , and go ahead with integration for the field energy as your expression seems to be 'integration of energy density over whole space - let us see !

drvrm said:
i think first you should calculate field E due to a dipole at any point (r,theta) , and go ahead with integration for the field energy as your expression seems to be 'integration of energy density over whole space - let us see !

Isn't the expression Qd cosθ ar / (2 π ε0 r3) + Qd sinθ aθ / (4 π ε0 r3) valid for the E field at any r or θ in spherical coordinate system?

Jake 7174 said:
This leaves a huge question in my understanding however. What if I were asked for the energy in just the sphere? Then my limits would have to have the 0.

I think you've stumbled upon a curious and perhaps "embarrassing" (David J. Griffiths calls it "embarrassing" in his book, Introduction to Electrodynamics) limitation in our (humans) current understanding of electrostatics.

It's not limited to dipoles either. Ask yourself instead, how much energy does it take to make a single point particle like an electron? [integrate [itex] \frac{1}{2} \varepsilon_0 \left( \frac{q}{4 \pi \varepsilon_0 r^2} \right)^2 [/itex] over all space] You'll also find that even that takes an infinite amount of energy.

Likes drvrm
i can not confirm as the expression looks similar but you have magnitude of E as its E^2 in the integrand so take care otherwise your calculation will get affected- i remember some factor sqrt(1 + 3 cos^2 theta) in the numerator - try to do full calculation

collinsmark said:
I think you've stumbled upon a curious and perhaps "embarrassing" (David J. Griffiths calls it "embarrassing" in his book, Introduction to Electrodynamics) limitation in our (humans) current understanding of electrostatics.

It's not limited to dipoles either. Ask yourself instead, how much energy does it take to make a single point particle like an electron? [integrate [itex] \frac{1}{2} \varepsilon_0 \left( \frac{q}{4 \pi \varepsilon_0 r^2} \right)^2 [/itex] over all space] You'll also find that that even takes an infinite amount of energy.
Good point. That goes to infinity as well. This is probably why my professor asked us to do this problem. It is just something he scribbled on the board as we were packing up.

Likes drvrm
drvrm said:
i can not confirm as the expression looks similar but you have magnitude of E as its E^2 in the integrand so take care otherwise your calculation will get affected- i remember some factor sqrt(1 + 3 cos^2 theta) in the numerator - try to do full calculation
Right. I left the ^2 off as a simple copy and paste error. This still does not change the fact that I will have division by zero once the integration is carried out.

Likes drvrm
Jake 7174 said:
Right. I left the ^2 off as a simple copy and paste error. This still does not change the fact that I will have division by zero once the integration is carried out.
Yeah, I don't think you can get around that.

That's probably why the question only asked you to find the energy outside of the sphere. You'll end up with nonsensical answers inside.

Jake 7174 said:
This still does not change the fact that I will have division by zero once the integration is carried out.

so a good 'learning exercise' given by your teacher - now it will never leave your 'thumb rule book'.

collinsmark said:

That's probably why the question only asked you to find the energy outside of the sphere. You'll end up with nonsensical answers inside.
collinsmark said:

So does this equation look ok then;

ε0/2 ∫∫∫ [ Qd cosθ ar / (2 π ε0 r3) + Qd sinθ aθ / (4 π ε0 r3) ] 2 dr from r=a to ∞ dθ from θ=0 to π dφ from φ=0 to 2π

drvrm said:
so a good 'learning exercise' given by your teacher - now it will never leave your 'thumb rule book'.
indeed

Jake 7174 said:
So does this equation look ok then;

ε0/2 ∫∫∫ [ Qd cosθ ar / (2 π ε0 r3) + Qd sinθ aθ / (4 π ε0 r3) ] 2 dr from r=a to ∞ dθ from θ=0 to π dφ from φ=0 to 2π
Assuming that [itex] \vec E = \frac{Qd}{2 \pi \epsilon_0 r^3}\cos \theta \hat{a_r} + \frac{Qd}{4 \pi \epsilon_0 r^3}\sin \theta \hat{a_\theta} [/itex] (which I haven't verified), then that looks about right.

You can distribute the squaring operation into the individual components by invoking the Pythagorean theorem.

[Edit: Oh, and your differentials shouldn't be just [itex] dr [/itex], but rather something a bit more complicated noting that [itex] d \vec r = (dr) \hat {a_r} + (r d \theta) \hat {a_\theta} + (r \sin \theta d \phi) \hat {a_\phi} [/itex], if that's not what you already meant by "dr".]

Last edited:

Related to Electric Dipole Energy Outside Sphere

1. What is an electric dipole?

An electric dipole is a pair of equal and opposite charges separated by a small distance. It is commonly represented by an arrow pointing from the negative charge to the positive charge.

2. How is electric dipole energy calculated outside a sphere?

The electric dipole energy outside a sphere is calculated using the equation U = -pE cosθ, where U is the energy, p is the dipole moment, E is the electric field strength, and θ is the angle between the dipole moment and the electric field vector.

3. What is the relationship between electric dipole energy and distance from the sphere?

The electric dipole energy outside a sphere decreases as the distance from the sphere increases. This is because the electric field strength decreases with distance, resulting in a decrease in the energy of the dipole.

4. How does the orientation of the dipole affect the electric dipole energy outside a sphere?

The orientation of the dipole relative to the electric field vector plays a crucial role in determining the electric dipole energy outside a sphere. When the dipole moment is aligned with the electric field vector, the energy is at its maximum, and when they are perpendicular to each other, the energy is zero.

5. What are some real-life applications of electric dipoles outside a sphere?

Electric dipoles outside a sphere have various applications in physics and engineering, such as in the creation of electric fields for particle accelerators and in the design of capacitors. They are also used in astronomy to study the magnetic fields of celestial bodies.