Electric Dipole / Air Ionization

In summary, the question asks what causes the spark when you touch your grandma's elbow. The answer choices are protons, neutrons, and electrons. The correct answer according to the show is electrons, but the person disagrees and believes protons are the more appropriate answer due to the electric dipole moment. However, there is a flaw in this logic as it does not explain the actual "shock." It is suggested that the shock may be the result of electrons ionizing with air molecules. The conversation also debates the possibility of a free proton and the fact that spark is a flow of electric charge, making hole an unlikely answer.
kellenhockey6
I have an electrodynamics question stemming from a recent episode of the game show "1 vs 100" in which I disagreed with the show's answer.

The question is: "You touch your grandma's elbow and feel a spark. What do you have an excess build-up of, besides shame?"

Answer choices were: A-protons, B-neutrons, C-electrons.

The correct answer, according to the show is C, electrons.

I however feel A, protons, is a more appropriate answer. If you consider an electric dipole, with equal and opposite charges q+ and q-, then their electric dipole moment, a vector quantity, is commonly defined as the product of the charge q and distance, d, between the two charges pointing in the direction of the positive charge. This would suggest the electric field lines point towards the positive charge, in this case excess protons. The only flaw I can see in this logic is what creates the actual "shock." I am assuming the shock occurs at the positive charge. (Although, from personal experience I recall both people receiving a shock, which complicates the question as either A or C could be correct.)

Could this possibly be the fault in my logic? Perhaps the shock is actually the result of the electrons ionization with the air molecules.. which would explain answer C...

Thanks for any insight, explanation or debate.

-Jordan

Physics news on Phys.org
In normal condition, how can you have a free proton? Electron, proton, neutron exist in our body in the form of molecular. Therefore, I think the only dipole we may have is induced dipole, which is created only by outer field.

Moreover, spark is something like current, and current is the flow of electric charge (electron or hole). In this case, hole can't be an answer.

Related to Electric Dipole / Air Ionization

1. What is an electric dipole?

An electric dipole refers to a pair of equal and opposite electric charges that are separated by a small distance. This results in a dipolar electric field that is stronger near the charges and weaker in between them.

2. How does air ionization occur?

Air ionization occurs when atoms or molecules in the air gain or lose electrons, creating positively or negatively charged particles called ions. This can happen through various processes such as exposure to high energy radiation or contact with a charged object.

3. What is the purpose of air ionization?

The purpose of air ionization is to improve the air quality by reducing the number of airborne particles and pollutants. Negative ions produced during air ionization can attach to positively charged particles, causing them to clump together and eventually fall out of the air, leading to cleaner and fresher air.

4. Can electric dipole/air ionization have any negative effects?

Some studies have suggested that high levels of negative ions in the air can have positive effects on mood and mental health, but there is currently no scientific evidence to support this claim. However, excessive levels of negative ions can also cause irritation to the respiratory system and may worsen symptoms for individuals with asthma or allergies.

5. How is electric dipole/air ionization used in technology?

Electric dipole/air ionization is commonly used in air purifiers, which use an electric field to produce negative ions that can remove airborne particles and pollutants. It is also used in electrostatic precipitators, which capture pollutants from industrial exhaust gases by using electric fields to charge particles and then collecting them on oppositely charged plates.