Electric Current Power Plant problem

In summary, the problem involves a power plant producing 1000 MW of power and supplying it to a city 40km away. The current flows through a single wire with a resistance of 0.050 ohm/km and returns via the ground with negligible resistance. The voltage between the wire and ground is 115kV. The task is to determine the current in the wire and the fraction of power lost in transmission. After several attempts using different equations, it is determined that the correct approach is to first find the current using I = P/V and then use that current to calculate the voltage drop along the line (IR) and compare it to the total power generated. The power dissipated in the line can then be calculated using
xaer04
[SOLVED] Electric Current

Homework Statement

"A power plant produces 1000 MW to supply a city 40km away. Current flows from the power plant on a single wire of resistance .050[itex]\Omega/km[/tex], through the city, and returns via the ground, assumed to have negligible resistance. At the power plant the voltage between the wire and ground is 115kV. a.) What is the current in the wire? b.) What fraction of the power is lost in transmission?"

Initial Power [itex]= P_0 = 1.0x10^9[/itex]
Wire length [itex]= L = 40km[/itex]
Resistance per unit length [itex]= R/L = .050 \Omega /km[/itex]
->Resistance for 40km wire [itex]= 2\Omega[/itex]
Voltage between wire and ground [itex] = 115x10^3V[/itex]

Homework Equations

Electric Power
[tex]P = IV[/tex]
[tex]P = I^2 R[/tex]
[tex]P = \frac{V^2}{R}[/tex]

Electric Current
[tex]I=\frac{V}{R}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried several of these and got all different answers.
[tex]I = P/V = \frac{1x10^9W}{1.15x10^5V} = 8695.7 A[/tex]
[tex]I = \sqrt{P/R} = \sqrt{(1x10^9W)/(2\Omega)} = 22360.7 A[/tex]
[tex]I = V/R = (1.15x10^5V)/(2\Omega) = 57500 A[/tex]

I couldn't even get the power to work out using the remaining Power equation, reliant on Volts and Resistance.
[tex]P = (V^2)/(R) = (1.15x10^5V)^2/(2\Omega) = 6.61x10^9W[/tex]

Please help me understand this:(

Physics news on Phys.org
OK, one cannot use the line-to-ground voltage V (115 kV) with R in I=V/R because the voltage drop along the line is not 115 kV. The voltage drop along the line is IR << V. The V (115 kV) is the voltage drop across the load, not along the line.

Similarly P is not the power dissipated along the line. P = VI is the power generated and supplied (with some loss) to the load.

So find I from P/V and then use that I to find the voltage drop along the line IR, and compare to 1000 MW (1 GW). The power dissipated by the line is then I2R.

Last edited:
ah... thank you very much:)

I still cannot figure out how to do this problem.
I have:
L=40 km
R = 0.050 ohm/km
P = 1000 MW
I = P/V ; at 40 km R=2 ohm; V= 115kV

I = 1000/115?

Am I going about this wrong? What should I do next?

It seems like you have already found the correct value for the current, which is 57500 A. This can be calculated using Ohm's Law, I=V/R, where V is the voltage and R is the total resistance of the wire (2\Omega). Your other attempts at solving for the current may have used incorrect values for the voltage or resistance.

To calculate the power lost in transmission, we can use the formula P=I^2R, where I is the current and R is the resistance of the wire. Plugging in our values, we get P=(57500 A)^2 x 2\Omega = 6.61x10^9 W.

To find the fraction of power lost in transmission, we can compare the initial power (1.0x10^9 W) to the power lost (6.61x10^9 W). This gives us a fraction of 6.61/10 = 0.661, meaning that about 66.1% of the initial power is lost during transmission. This is not uncommon in power plants, as energy is often lost due to resistance in the wires and other factors.

I hope this helps clarify the solution to this problem. If you have any further questions, please let me know.

Related to Electric Current Power Plant problem

1. What is an electric current power plant?

An electric current power plant is a facility that uses generators to convert mechanical energy into electrical energy. This process involves the use of turbines, which are turned by steam or falling water to spin the generators and produce electricity.

2. How does an electric current power plant work?

Electric current power plants work by using a fuel source, such as coal, natural gas, or nuclear energy, to heat water and create steam. The steam then turns a turbine, which is connected to a generator that produces electricity. The electricity is then sent through a network of transmission lines to homes and businesses.

3. What are the main types of electric current power plants?

The main types of electric current power plants include coal-fired, natural gas-fired, nuclear, hydroelectric, and renewable energy plants. Each type of plant uses a different fuel source and technology to generate electricity.

4. What are the environmental impacts of electric current power plants?

Electric current power plants can have significant environmental impacts, depending on the type of plant and its location. Coal-fired plants, for example, produce air pollutants and greenhouse gas emissions, while nuclear plants produce radioactive waste. Hydroelectric plants can disrupt ecosystems and renewable energy plants can have varying impacts depending on the source.

5. How can we make electric current power plants more sustainable?

There are several ways to make electric current power plants more sustainable. One approach is to improve the efficiency of the plants, which can reduce their environmental impacts. Another is to transition to renewable energy sources, such as solar, wind, and geothermal, which have lower environmental impacts. Additionally, implementing carbon capture and storage technology can help reduce greenhouse gas emissions from fossil fuel-fired plants.