Electric Current - Parallel and Series equations

In summary, the conversation discusses the equations for calculating total voltage, current, and resistance in both series and parallel circuits. The "*" symbol is not mentioned in the equations and it is unclear what "Voltage*total" refers to. It is important to ask clear questions to receive clear answers.
unilliterate
Hello all. I was wondering if these equations would be correct... thank you.

Series
Voltage(total) = V1+V2+V3...
Current(total) = I1 = I2 = I3...
Resistor(total) = R1+R2+R3...

Parallel
Voltage(total) = V1 = V2 = V3
Current(total) = I1 = I2 = I3

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What does the "*" mean in your equations? i.e., what is "Voltage*total"?

If you want a clear answer, you need to state a clear question...

Edited...

unilliterate said:
Hello all. I was wondering if these equations would be correct... thank you.

Series
Voltage(total) = V1+V2+V3...
Current(total) = I1 = I2 = I3...

Parallel
Current(total) = I1 = I2 = I3

Parallel
Current(total) = I1 + I2 + I3
Resistor(total) = 1/(1/R1 + 1/R2 + 1/R3)

Hello, thank you for your question. The equations you have provided for series and parallel circuits are correct. In series circuits, the voltage across each resistor adds up to the total voltage, while the current remains the same throughout the circuit. In parallel circuits, the voltage across each resistor is the same, while the current is divided among the branches. The total resistance in a parallel circuit is less than the smallest individual resistor. These equations are fundamental in understanding and analyzing circuit behavior and can be used to calculate various quantities, such as power and resistance. It is important to note that these equations are valid for ideal circuit components and may differ slightly in real-world scenarios. I hope this helps clarify your understanding of electric current in series and parallel circuits.

Related to Electric Current - Parallel and Series equations

1. What is the difference between parallel and series circuits?

Parallel circuits have multiple paths for current to flow, while series circuits have only one path for current to flow.

2. How do you calculate total resistance in a parallel circuit?

To calculate total resistance in a parallel circuit, you use the formula 1/R(total) = 1/R(1) + 1/R(2) + 1/R(3) + ... + 1/R(n), where R(n) represents each individual resistor in the circuit.

3. What is the equation for calculating total current in a series circuit?

The equation for calculating total current in a series circuit is I(total) = V(total)/R(total), where V(total) is the total voltage in the circuit and R(total) is the total resistance.

4. Can you have both parallel and series components in the same circuit?

Yes, it is possible to have both parallel and series components in the same circuit. This is known as a combination circuit.

5. How does the brightness of light bulbs differ in parallel and series circuits?

In a parallel circuit, each light bulb receives the same amount of voltage, so they will all have the same brightness. In a series circuit, the voltage is divided among the light bulbs, so each bulb will be dimmer compared to a single bulb in a parallel circuit.