Electric Current - Finding # of Electrons

In summary, electric current is the flow of electric charge through a conductor and is measured in amperes. The number of electrons in an electric current can be measured using the formula I = Q/t, and the relationship between current and the number of electrons is directly proportional. The number of electrons affects the strength of an electric current, and it can be changed by altering the amount of charge or adjusting the resistance of the conductor.
calvert11

Homework Statement

a) The potential difference in a simple circuit is 13 V and the resistance is 3 . What current I flows in the circuit? Answer in units of A.

(I got I = 4.333 which is correct)

b) How many electrons pass a given point in the circuit in 7 min?

Homework Equations

I=[tex]\Delta[/tex]Q/[tex]\Delta[/tex]t
n = I*t/q

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm having trouble with Part B of the question.

I used n = I*t/q, so 4.333A*420sec/1.6e^-19 = 1.1374e^22

Also, one ampere is 1 C per second, so 4.333*6.241e^18*420sec = 1.1357e^22

But both answers are wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
The first method looks good to me. (I'm not familiar with the mole of electrons approach.)
Could it be a significant digits problem? The given numbers suggest rounding to 1 or 2 digits. If you want 5 digits, better find a more accurate value for e.

Delphi51 said:
The first method looks good to me. (I'm not familiar with the mole of electrons approach.)
Could it be a significant digits problem? The given numbers suggest rounding to 1 or 2 digits. If you want 5 digits, better find a more accurate value for e.
Sigfigs aren't checked. But generally, the more digits the better.

Other than that, you don't see anything wrong with my answer?

I got the same answer.

Related to Electric Current - Finding # of Electrons

1. What is electric current?

Electric current is the flow of electric charge through a conductor. It is measured in amperes (A) and is caused by the movement of electrons.

2. How is the number of electrons in an electric current measured?

The number of electrons in an electric current can be measured by using the formula: I = Q/t, where I is the current in amperes, Q is the charge in coulombs, and t is the time in seconds. By knowing the current and the amount of charge passing through a conductor, the number of electrons can be calculated.

3. What is the relationship between current and the number of electrons?

The relationship between current and the number of electrons is directly proportional. This means that as the current increases, the number of electrons also increases. Similarly, when the current decreases, the number of electrons decreases as well.

4. How does the number of electrons affect the strength of an electric current?

The number of electrons affects the strength of an electric current because it determines the amount of charge flowing through a conductor. The more electrons that are present, the stronger the current will be.

5. Can the number of electrons in an electric current be changed?

Yes, the number of electrons in an electric current can be changed by altering the amount of charge or adjusting the resistance of the conductor. This can be done by using different voltage sources or by changing the material or dimensions of the conductor.