Electric current and resistance

In summary, it takes 9.68*10^14 seconds for the electric potential to reach 5.00V from the centre of the sphere.
raindrops

Homework Statement

Two wires are connected to a conducting sphere of radius 7.75 cm, which is initially uncharged. One wire carries a current of 3.47 μA into the sphere, and another wire carries a current of 1.26 μA out of the sphere. How long does it take to to produce an electric potential of 5.00 V at a distance of 11.6 cm away from the center of the sphere?

Homework Equations

Csphere = 4 pi (8.85e-12) [(ra*rb)/(ra-rb)]

C = Q/V

V=IR

P=IV

Vsphere = KQ [-1/r]rarb ~(this doesn't look quite right but it's rb plugged in minus ra)

The Attempt at a Solution

I found that Csphere = -2.35e-11 and that when I plugged 5.00V into the Vsphere equation I came up with Q = 1.3e8.

I'm just lost as to where to go from here. I can't seem to find anything linking together the pieces I have. I tried using the C=Q/V but I just kept going in circles.

Physics news on Phys.org
You only have one conductor (a single sphere with a single radius), not a spherical shell with an inner and outer radius. So, doesn't the electric potential anywhere outside the sphere depend only on the total amount of charge and distance from centre of sphere [EDIT: as though it were a point charge]? In that case, Coulomb's law would be easy to apply.

Last edited:
I guess I don't see how Coulomb's law applies. I don't have a point charge at all. If it's conducting, I have a uniform charge across the entire sphere and I don't even know what that charge is, just that so much current goes in and so much comes out.

Plus doesn't coulomb's law determine force? I know V=[Force * (change in x)]/q, but how can that be applied to the time it takes to produce an electric potential?

If I'm supposed to use Coulomb's Law ~ F = (9e9)Q/(11.6-7.75) How can I calculate Q to make this work? and how do I relate back to electric potential and time?

raindrops said:
I don't have a point charge at all.

Well, no, but you have a distribution of electric charge that is spherically symmetric. Hence, by Gauss's law, the field outside the sphere at distance r is the same as the field that would be produced by a point charge of the same magnitude located at the centre of the sphere.

raindrops said:
If it's conducting, I have a uniform charge across the entire sphere and I don't even know what that charge is, just that so much current goes in and so much comes out.

You know the rate at which charge is accumulating onto the sphere. Therefore, if I give you any time interval since the current first started, you can tell me how much total charge has accumulated. The objective of this problem is to determine the time interval required to accumulate a specific amount of charge.

raindrops said:
Plus doesn't coulomb's law determine force? I know V=[Force * (change in x)]/q, but how can that be applied to the time it takes to produce an electric potential?

Er, yeah, I was playing fast and loose with terminology. Coulomb's law gives you the electric field (or force, if you like). I meant that you can use the equation for the electric potential of a point charge:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_potential#Electric_potential_due_to_a_point_charge

Now, due to the mathematical relationship between electric field and electric potential, this statement is logically equivalent to Coulomb's law (applied to a point charge).

Okay so this is what I tried.

3.47-1.26=2.21[tex]\mu[/tex]A ~ this is the rate at which the charge is building

[tex]\Delta[/tex]V = E [tex]\Delta[/tex]x

E = KQ/r2

so V = KQ/r2 * r = KQ/r

5 = [(9*109) Q] / 3.85 [tex]\rightarrow[/tex] Q = 2.14*109

I = q/t

2.21*10^-6 = 2.14*10^9/t [tex]\rightarrow[/tex] t = 9.68*10^14

This is not the correct answer so I'm guessing I used the wrong equation or messed up my math somewhere, but I'm not seeing it. Sorry I keep coming back to this.

I figured it out. I was using the wrong radius.

Thanks for the help :)

Related to Electric current and resistance

1. What is electric current?

Electric current is the flow of electric charge through a conductive material. It is measured in amperes (A) and is represented by the symbol "I".

2. How is electric current produced?

Electric current is produced when there is a potential difference (voltage) between two points in a circuit. This potential difference causes electrons to flow from the negative terminal to the positive terminal, creating a current.

3. What factors affect the flow of electric current?

The flow of electric current is affected by three main factors: the voltage (potential difference), the resistance of the material, and the length and thickness of the material. Higher voltage and thicker, shorter materials will result in a larger current, while higher resistance will decrease the current.

4. What is resistance?

Resistance is the measure of how difficult it is for electric current to flow through a material. It is measured in ohms (Ω) and is represented by the symbol "R". Materials with high resistance will impede the flow of current, while materials with low resistance will allow current to flow more easily.

5. How is resistance related to temperature?

The resistance of a material is directly proportional to its temperature. This means that as the temperature increases, the resistance also increases. This is due to the increased vibration of atoms in the material, which makes it more difficult for electrons to flow through.