Electric Circuits and Gadgets - Basics Please

In summary, a person's occupation may tell you something about their interests or knowledge in certain areas. You can explore these interests by looking into gadgets and their functions on the HowStuffWorks website.
infinite.curve
Electric Circuits and Gadgets -- Basics Please

Well, when I lived in India, I remembered a neighbor whose occupation was creating little gadgets, such as watches, lasers, etc.

I am now living in Pakistan, and missed the chance of asking the guy how he learned what he knew.

I am curious to just basically learn what are the functions of basic hardware components that creates such hardware.

Can anyone give me a runway of this field, and give me a sense of how different components come together to operate a gadget?
I apologize if my English is not good, but it is not my first language and I am only 14 years old.

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
infinite.curve said:
Well, when I lived in India, I remembered a neighbor whose occupation was creating little gadgets, such as watches, lasers, etc.

I am now living in Pakistan, and missed the chance of asking the guy how he learned what he knew.

I am curious to just basically learn what are the functions of basic hardware components that creates such hardware.

Can anyone give me a runway of this field, and give me a sense of how different components come together to operate a gadget?
I apologize if my English is not good, but it is not my first language and I am only 14 years old.

Welcome to the PF.

Your question is a bit overly broad -- too broad to be able to give a good answer, I believe. I'd suggest using wikipedia.org to look up different gadgets that you are interested in learning about, and then if you are confused about some specific issue, post your question here with a link to the reading you have been doing.

The website HowStuffWorks.com may also be a good place for you to do some reading. My dad got hard copies of the HowStuffWorks books when I was about your age, and reading through those books was a huge help in forming my mental pictures of how things operate and how to build them... :smile:

I am quite baffled were to start. Thank you for the website references and the book recommendation.

Can you please give me a few gadgets to explore?

Because I remember when I first started learning physics with optics without having a solid idea of electrostatics--not so intuitive.

Thank you in advance!

infinite.curve said:
I am quite baffled were to start. Thank you for the website references and the book recommendation.

Can you please give me a few gadgets to explore?

Because I remember when I first started learning physics with optics without having a solid idea of electrostatics--not so intuitive.

Thank you in advance!

I think I'd just start browsing around the HowStuffWorks.com website, and check out some of the tabs on the main page like Autos, Science, etc.

Here are a few fun things to learn about:

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/differential.htm

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/auto-parts

http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/transistor.htm

http://science.howstuffworks.com/transport/flight/modern/airplanes.htm

...and so on... :smile:

Thank you very, very much.

Related to Electric Circuits and Gadgets - Basics Please

1. What is an electric circuit?

An electric circuit is a system that allows electrical energy to flow from a power source to a device or appliance. It is made up of wires, resistors, capacitors, and other components that are connected in a closed loop.

2. What are the basic components of an electric circuit?

The basic components of an electric circuit include a power source, conducting wires, a load (such as a light bulb or motor), and a switch. Additional components may include resistors, capacitors, and diodes.

3. How does electricity flow through a circuit?

Electricity flows through a circuit in a closed loop, starting at the power source (such as a battery), traveling through the wires to the load, and then back to the power source. This flow of electricity is known as current.

4. What is the difference between series and parallel circuits?

In a series circuit, the components are connected end to end, creating only one path for the current to flow through. In a parallel circuit, the components are connected in multiple branches, allowing the current to flow through each branch separately.

5. What are some common gadgets that use electric circuits?

Some common gadgets that use electric circuits include smartphones, laptops, televisions, and kitchen appliances such as toasters and blenders. Other examples include electric cars, flashlights, and alarm clocks.